Thread: digiscoping with my olympus

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Default digiscoping with my olympus

Hiya,

im new on the site and looking through things, ive been looking to get into digiscoping with my camera but is that possible. I have olympus e410 dslr which i love though im not in love with the long lens at the moment! so i though doing it this way might improve my images for the comps i want to enter.

Cheers

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I tried it with my E500 some while ago with my cheapie digiscope, but the results were pretty poor, i achieved much better results with my Sigma 50-500. Which big lens do you have Billy, you don't mention it in your profile.
    Rolf

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

opton 500mm lens with 2x on it as needed.. i jus find taking pics with it hard, they look good when i get them on my comp there kindof grainy and im trying to work out what i need to do...

Also theres a fair few comps out there for digiscoped pictures, and only those sort which id like to enter.. if its possible to and i can afford to, my lens cost me all my christmas and birthday money for years!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 24 10_9177.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	12590  

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Billy, apparent graininess is normally caused by using a high ISO setting on your camera. You have to play iso, shutter speed and F number off to get the results you want. For wildlife shots usually a fast shutter speed is needed to freeze the action and counteract camera shake, to get fast shutter speeds you will require a large aperture (which gives shallow depth of field), stopping down the aperture( to increase depth of field) reduces shutter speed so we have to increase ISO which gives the graininess.
    Your pic of the tufted duck is better than the results I got when I tried a digiscope.
    Joe

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Billy, apparent graininess is normally caused by using a high ISO setting on your camera. You have to play iso, shutter speed and F number off to get the results you want. For wildlife shots usually a fast shutter speed is needed to freeze the action and counteract camera shake, to get fast shutter speeds you will require a large aperture (which gives shallow depth of field), stopping down the aperture( to increase depth of field) reduces shutter speed so we have to increase ISO which gives the graininess.
    Your pic of the tufted duck is better than the results I got when I tried a digiscope.
    Joe
    that pics with my lens, not my digiscope-

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

I assumed that you had a seperate camera that you attached to your scope.
    Of course the depth of field and aperture are set by the scope, so that leaves you the shutter speed and ISO to play with on the camera.

Thread Information