Thread: Homemade digiscope adapter

Cameras and Equipment

Samsung L80 digital camera Canon Powershot A40 Opticron HR66 Scope

Default Homemade digiscope adapter

Rolf asked me to post images of my digiscoping equipment. Below shows the parts I use to get my pictures.

The scope is a Opticron HR66 with a 28mm HDF lens. It is a bog standard spotting scope to be exact and I would love to have a field scope which would allow much more light into the lens.

The adapter. This is a sawn off section of a paint roller. I removed the fluffy exterior of the roller part and sanded it down. I measured the depth of the camera lens (zoom off) and the depth of the telescope eyepiece lip. The combined measure must equal the depth of the sawn roller section.

It must be said that the roller idea took about a month for me to find. I had to find something hollow that was slightly larger that the eyepiece diameter as I wrap the roller in insulation tape to protect the camera lens.

The lens diameter was less the the diameter of the adapter so one end of the adapter was wrapped in more tape to accomodate this.

The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice that I have added the plug you use to fit a parasol through your garden table! This was because I changed camera and the lens was even smaller in diameter.

Anyway, I do get strange looks from the purists I meet but then I think the shots I can get (most are binned) speak for themselves.

wild goose

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL800878.jpg 
Views:	1191 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	1598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL800880.jpg 
Views:	1633 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	1599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XL800879.jpg 
Views:	1853 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	1600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6096.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1601  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6097.jpg 
Views:	1659 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	1602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WATERR~E.jpg 
Views:	1408 
Size:	480.2 KB 
ID:	1603  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Thanks wild goose, an ingenious modification, it certainly seems to produce results and may well prompt some others to try similar projects.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Tried something similar myself last week, found out that a Shaving Gel cap did pretty much the same job, as it was a perfect fit over the filter extension I bought for the purpose..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-21-09.16.54.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	19127  
    Rolf

Thread Information