Thread: Scope and optics display, Sunday 2nd October at Lavell's

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Scope and optics display, Sunday 2nd October at Lavell's

If you get a chance, try and make it down to Bittern hide at Lavell's lake, between 10am and 4pm. There will also be digiscoping instruction from Paul Hacket.

London Camera Exchange and Kowa are hosting the event which should be well worth a visit, particularly if you have a new scope on your wish list (as I have).
    Rolf

Real Name
    Philip
    Cameras and Equipment

Camera :- Nikon D3100 used with Nikkor 70-300 F/4-5.6 VR Lens. Compact Camera :- Samsung V5.0 Tripod : - Yep, Good One. Binoculars :- Nikon 'Sport Lite' 10x25.

I Shall Start the Bidding for ur Old Scope...£10.00

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

It's not a very good one, bought it on ebay several years back, as it was cheap, from China, but I've been so unimpressed with the usability, that I barely use it.
    Rolf

Cameras and Equipment

Canon Eos 40D,Canon Eos 20D, Canon prime 400 mm Sigma 50 -500 mm , Kenko 1.4 converter,Gitzo Tripod ,Ameristep Doghouse Bird Hide

If I can not get a good view of a bird through my eyes,the I wont get a good view through my camera lens !!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes, but having said that, I have missed a few birds by not having a good scope and of course you can always get a digiscope adapter and take some distance shots of rarities.
    Rolf

Registered
    Cameras and Equipment

Canon 40D + 100-400 Opticron verano 8x42 Opticron ES 80 GA ED

Default Nikon?

Hi,
    I'm toying with the idea of going with a Nikon scope and SLR camera.

I currently have an opticron scope and the Opticron (samsung) digiscoping kit. My result have been poor, and set up time is slow.

My best photo-taking is with my, (old) Canon EOS 40D and 100-400 lens.

I would like to try the Nikon combination before talking with the bank manager for obvious reasons.

Is there any chance this type of kit will be on show on Sunday?

Regards

Gareth

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Not sure Gareth, the people hosting the session are London Camera Exchange and Kowa, LCE certainly deal with Nikon equipment, but obviously Kowa are a scope manufacturer. the guy giving the digiscoping talk (Paul Hackett) is well known for his digiscoping knowledge, not sure which equipment he uses.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Well dropped in at 11ish and stayed for an hour or so, was a little disappointed that there wasn't a range of scopes on display, only really the high end Kowa TSN-883 scope, which at around £2,000 is a little out of my range and probably that of a lot of other bird watchers, although it was a dream to use and produced crystal clear images. I had a chat with one of the Londion Camera Exchange guys and agreed to pop into their Station Road shop to look at some less expensive scopes.

Did lurk around the digiscoping corner and watched as Paul Hacket demonstrated taking photos using his Kowa scope using both hand held compact digital camera and mobile phone, producing excellent results. In fact was surprised at the quality, does of course help when using a top of the range scope, as the optics are crystal clear. He even made short video through the scope, whilst hand holding the phone.

So overall an interesting morning, but would have been nice to look through some mid market scopes as a comparison.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Really? That's a bit short-righted of them - that's a bit bit too much money for most people even as a dream-buy.

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

see i went day before learned loads bout kit and locations from a group of photographers... was a brilliant time... was going to come out on sunday but rain scared me off!!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

You have to watch listening to some photographers, as depending on which group they subscribe to, you wouldn't guess that there is anything of merit made by anyone other than Nikon or Canon.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

I SO agree with you there, Rolf.

And if, like me, you take pics with a camera which cost less than £250, they're bound to be rubbish - but that doesn't stop me bombarding you with them!

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Oh yes, the old Canon/Nikon dictatorship. Unfortunately because so many people buy them, it's easy to get the gear for them... so more people buy them etc. It's self-perpetuating and annoying.
    Also, the 'too cheap to mention' thought - those are people who don't realise that content is more important. I have one friend who upgraded to a nice £1.5k camera a year or so ago.. you wouldn't know that from the quality of his shots Nice chap, though
    Mind you, I also have a friend who also upgraded to that, and he has made full use of the quality to improve what was already a brilliant photographic eye (the bastard!!!).

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Drives me nuts the nikon/canon bullys as i like to hold and try things but for my olympus i have make do with pictures... blahhhh

Thread Information