Thread: The Ivy Bee - Colletes hederae

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Default The Ivy Bee - Colletes hederae

I took a few pics down at Barton-on-Sea today. Not being able to ID them through Google searches, I emailed them to BWARS - Bees, Wasps and Ants Recording Society.

I was told they were Ivy Bees - Colletes hederae - a species first recorded in the UK in 2001 in Dorset, the first recording of any in Hampshire being in 2003 - at Barton-on-Sea!!!

Anyway, the Society would be grateful if anyone were able to send reports and pics of that species to them, so their progress along the south coast and inland might be recorded. Check here - Eyes open for Colletes hederae

Anyway, here are the pics I took - the cliffs, the 'nests', the Bees - and the spoil heaps and erosion they create.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barton-on-sea Cliffs.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	16159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erosion.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	623.6 KB 
ID:	16160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracks and holes.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	558.7 KB 
ID:	16161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'Spoil' at cliff foot.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	618.9 KB 
ID:	16162  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miner.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	16163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miner b.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	16164  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Well done Catherine, will keep my eyes peeled, although probably a while before it arrives up her.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Well spotted - I probably wouldn't have gone to the bother to find out (I'm lazy that way!). In fact I took some shots of bees all over Ivy a few weeks ago which had more defined bands than usual.... I think it's close, but no cigar

But these ones really are like Humbugs with those wide, pale bands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH2956 -1009 25.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	16184  

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Well done, Louise! I'm SURE that's what you have there - with an ever-so-much-better photo than mine too!

Please check this article first,
    Eyes open for Colletes hederae
    - but send your pic to Stuart Roberts at [email protected] just to make sure.

Then you'll probably get a red circle on the map for your sighting!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Really? I thought that the bands were a little too thin... still, it's worth a try.

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Well, Thanks for that Catherine, I didn't think that it was, but apparently it is, and although I had thought that they were unusual I really wouldn't have suspected that they could be anything that special! The chappy who runs the ID is actually at Reading Uni and said that he was jealous as hadn't seen them himself in the area.
    To quote him:

"These are exciting records right at the northern frontier of the species, not only in GB but in the world! The only other record from Berks is from Tilehurst, also in September this year where they were found nesting in a huge aggregation in a garden. I am just a bit jealous as I have looked at zillions of Hedera clumps in Reading this Autumn (I work at the Uni) and I have drawn nothing but social wasps, Apis and hoverflies!!"

Unfortunately, if he has a sighting in Tilehurst, that is just above me, so I'm not the furthest north :-( Still, I've see a rare species, and one that I just wouldn't have realised if it weren't for you, Catherine!!!
    Last edited by ladylouise62; 28-10-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh, I'm SO glad you contacted him, Louise!

Yes, I found this a week ago on Googling;
    Centre for Agri-Environmental Research (CAER), Department of Agriculture, the University of Reading

Did you tell him you'd got a message from me on TVB? You see I DID promise him I'd spread the word on this site!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Of course I mentioned TVB, I always try to promote it wherever I can, just in case I can entice some other poor sucker, errm, lovely person to join us

I was so shocked - although it was a surprising sight as there were loads of the bees all at once and they are reasonably distinct, it never even crossed my mind that they could be special. I didn't check them out as I didn't get any really nice shots so wasn't going to post. It's all down to you!

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Not at all! You took the pics!

You just need to go back to get more shots there now - LOTS of them!

Thread Information