Thread: Raptors caught in Crow trap, Cernay, France.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Raptors caught in Crow trap, Cernay, France.

This was Cernay early afternoon, something I've never seen before, but is apparently not that uncommon. Couldn't do anything about it, as had the hound of the Baskervilles with me and the cage was padlocked. Went back later to check, but the farmer had obviously been to empty the trap and no sign of the raptors, nor any sign of harm to them.

Think these were young Buzzards, didn't want to get too close and cause any more distress than necessary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raptors_P1010340.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	16585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raptors_P1010347.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	16586  
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Very interesting, Rolf. Do you think raw meat/other had been out into the cage to trap and kill the raptors? I mean, I know they are very keen on hunting in France - for Pheasants, Deer, Rabbits/anything - and wonder if the farmer needed to get rid of BOPs from his hunting grounds..

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I'd like to think not Catherine, raptors also do a good job of keeping vermin down.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Rolf, I've been 'Googling'...

Check out these;

Crow trap - Wild About Britain

Crow Busters - Crow Trap

Controlling bird damage by American Crows (Corvus ossifragus) by Ron Johnson

- and there are others!

Perhaps the farmer is trying to trap Crows (legal I'd guess) as they damage his crops. I suppose this might be the best time to do so - as there would be no young in nests waiting for adults to return with food.

What I'd like to know is if the farmer was trying to trap Buzzards as well - and what he does with those he finds in the cage!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

We'll never know that I'm afraid Catherine, as I'm not on the spot. I can't see why the farmer would particularly want to trap raptors as this is an arable region, this is also the first time I've seen raptors in the crow traps.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Oh, dear. I understand why they might want to control some species (not that I necessarily agree), but it is worrying if it becomes indiscriminate.

Thread Information