Thread: Big Garden Birdwatch results January 2011

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Big Garden Birdwatch results January 2011

Here's mine, completed by 09:45, conspicuous by their absence this morning were the three or four Sparrows, the Dunnock and the pair of Marsh Tits, but then I rarely see both male and female Blackcap in the garden at the same time, so I guess it all evens out.

Blackbird 2
    Blue tit 2
    Chaffinch 1
    Coal tit 2
    Collared dove 2
    Goldfinch 2
    Great tit 2
    Long-tailed tit 1
    Robin 3
    Starling 5
    Woodpigeon 2
    Blackcap 2
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

My list is always pretty similar and short - the only thing that changes is the odd visit of a ring-necked dove - other than that it's 12 Sparrows, A Robin, a Dunnock and a Blackbird. Sometimes I get a Blue Tit or 2 but I rarely get any other visitors ( I used to get a Wren & Starlings).I think that with the Sparrows actually living here is a bit of a downmarket place

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Do you do both front and back gardens?
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Arrived back home in time to do a late afternoon count - so there was no GSW (a morning visitor) to be seen, no Crows or Wrens -and I missed the LTTs too!

However, within an hour in one visit, we DID count as many as;

3 Blackbirds (fewer than usual)
    1 Blackcap (there are 4 in the area, with 3 at one time our record!)
    7 Blue Tits (at least...)
    2 Bullfinches (the pair of them visited on separate feeders as usual)
    1 Coal Tit
    4 Chaffinches (the norm)
    3 Dunnocks (eating fatballs in feeder from branches nearby)
    2 Great Tits
    4 Greenfinches (fewer - morning and lunchtime feeders)
    3 Goldfinches (fewer - morning and lunchtime feeders)
    2 Magpies
    1 Nuthatch
    1 Robin
    1 Song Thrush (a beauty!)
    3 Woodpigeons

Apart from the birds, we had a Squirrel - stuffing himself at his feeder and a little opportunistic Bank Vole grabbing the droppings from the fatball and nut-feeders at the end of the pond!
    Last edited by Catherine; 01-02-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: 1 bird missed out!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Nice variety there Catherine.

Just spent half an hour looking out at the garden and most of the species I reported in the count turned up in larger numbers, plus the usuals who didn't make the count turned up. Perhaps they know what's going on.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

I'm sure you're right, Rolf!

A GSW (f) turned up later - and we'd only had a male this year before that - then another Blackcap came in to get chased away by the first one - not to mention the LTTs coming in late!

I WAS really chuffed that the Bullfinches were around though - as they'd been AWOL for some time until recently!

No Buzzard though - at all....

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Quote Originally Posted by rolf View Post
    Do you do both front and back gardens?
    No - just the front - to be honest, I don't get too much in the back garden either. I might see the Blackbirds a bit more, and the odd Starling, but most activity is in the front... but then so is most of the food Actually, to prove that - I have had a feeder (with a wide base that makes it easy for Robins) filled with dried grub things that are supposed to be very attractive to Robins. All I can say is that even though I only Filled it a short way up I had to chuck some away before refilling it and will probably have to chuck the end of it again. The back garden just isn't 'the place to be' Mind you, last January, in the snow, they were queuing up for it!!!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Catherine - a lovely mix, but I agree with Rolf - you can guarantee that the day before or the day afetr there would be loads of extra birds - in fact I have vague recollections that last year on the same day but not when I was doing my count, I got something I'd never seen before!

Thread Information