Thread: My poor little blackbird couple :(

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default My poor little blackbird couple :(

I wasn't paying attention as they generally make lots of noise, but it eventually came t me that there was an unusual amount of noise outside, and that it wasn't just one 'pinking', but both.
    When I looked out I could see that both were flitting frantically about the garden from perch to perch 'pinking' madly. It dawned on me that they must have a fledgling out (at dusk, not good!!!!). It also dawned on me that my cat was out. I opened the door to let her in, hoping that since she isn't a big hunter that she hadn't spotted anything (she often ignores birds flitting about). I did later spot a little dark parch under the fleece-covered raised bed which was a little bird. I rushed out to pull back the cover as quickly as possible so they could get to it, but I stood at the upstairs window for half an hour and didn't see any movement even when the adults practically divebombed it.

It's not looking good

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I went out a ;itt;e after dark with the torch - still there and still alive as I could see it rock with breathing... but I can't see it lasting overnight. I did wonder about doing something , but thought "it's natural". I'm not happy, though.

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

I really sympathise with you, the little Blackbird and his parents, Louise.

It is hard to be able to comprehend how the Blackbird family feel at times like these - as we're always warned not to transfer human emotions into creatures in the wild. Nevertheless, the parents' persistent 'pinking' calls are signs of their alarm and anxiety. I certainly believe that creatures in the wild so often shame those of us who feel we have superior intellect and sensitivity. They so often show a greater, and more unselfish, courage in protecting their own.

I hope there is a happy outcome to your story, though realise that might not be the case. I hope the Blackbirds have several other young which will take their minds off this tragedy (if that's what it turns out to be). However, if it's a mild night, there are no cats or Magpies around, and if the parents are able to feed their young now you've given them access under the fleece. Fingers crossed!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Unfortunately, it didn't end well.
    I didn't think it would as it was a fairly cold night. The poor little thing didn't look as though it had been attacked at all, so it must have been the cold/fear that did it. I did wonder what I could do to keep it warm, but decided that as I really had no idea what to do I would let nature take its course. I am not sure that they do have any more little 'uns as both Mum and Dad are still out and both are hanging around my little patch. Dad came back with a mouthful of food and hopped around the garden in the same way as he did last night as though looking for it to feed. It's heartbreaking

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

That is very sad, Louise.

Mind you, Blackbirds are a resilient breed. They have to be.

Possibly they will build another nest/have another clutch of eggs if this lot have more problems. Nature provides them with that option to survive as a species. Are there plenty other nest sites near you?

Thread Information