Thread: Fuel prices

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Default Fuel prices

Just read this; BBC News - MPs to debate motion calling for halt in petrol prices

I've had quite an email exchange with our local MP on this subject - mainly because prices are higher here with us than 40 miles away in any direction - despite having Fawley, one of the largest petrol refineries in the country, being less than 20 miles away

Supermarkets keep prices down in most areas, but the only supermarket with a filling station near us is Tesco, and they can set their prices as high as they want as we've got no Asda, Sainsbury's or Morrison's as competition.

I have to agree with Quentin Wilson this time. Another 3p duty rise would be totally unacceptable just now.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Yes, even though it's a little cheaper up here, it still costs me a couple of quid short of £100 to fill up, I've seriously had to consider how far I travel on small jobs.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

In Sweden all gas stations have the same price, at least in the same area. Stupid really - we could do with just one brand

It is (as always) very expensive to fill it up, my Volvo need 0.8 litres/10km just about 10 SEK and I have a 30 km way to work and !! the very same back Each every day.
    Today I had a sick call so I had to do some driving and it ended up with 341 km.

A steamcar would be nice to have, just chop some timber and start going

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

But how eco-friendly would that be, Crister?

The Mercedes C-Class is the first diesel we have owned, bought specifically to provide cheaper travel and to last us longer than normal. We manage about 50mpg - or (using this website - Convert MPG to Litre (Miles Per Gallon to Liter Converter)) 100km from 5.6litres - and that's better than we managed with previous petrol-engined cars. It's worth it, even though diesel cards are more expensive to buy. The engines are simpler and last longer too.

Maybe it would be good to have a car with a battery which has to be charged every 100 miles, yet can be converted to petrol/diesel at the flick of a switch when necessary? That would be supposing there were more battery-charging points available of course. Yes, the car would be expensive to buy at first, but at just £1.50 per 100 mile charge (quoted from Sky News earlier), surely that cost would soon be recouped? Maybe F1's KERS would work with the car of the not-too-distant future as well?

Solar-powered cars may be the future of travel - though solar panels would need to be lighter and more compact for that purpose, as well as needing to blend in with the car's design. I often wonder about wind power though - with some aerodynamically-designed little 'f ducts' subtly positioned on each vehicle to draw in air towards mini turbines which would then convert that same 'wind' to power for the vehicle?

Surely that wouldn't be too difficult?

BTW, Rolf, I get twice-weekly updates re. cheapest diesel in the area from Free UK fuel prices. Over 11,000 petrol stations covered - PetrolPrices.com 'Every little helps!' as they say!

Thread Information