Thread: Very exciting Red Kite siting!

Real Name
    Ray

Default Very exciting Red Kite siting!

I was driving on the A421 at the roundabout intersection of Whaddon Rd (about 1 mile South of Whaddon Village) when over a field next to the road I saw 3 Red Kites. They were circling but low enough for me to see the chestnut colours of the lowest with the light wing patches.
    I think they were interested in something in the field to be so low and attentive.
    I believe this sighting is very significant as it suggests the Kites are 'local' and likely breeding.I've seen the odd single Red Kitehigh in the sky over North Milton Keynes where I live but never three together and I believe this may be a family group who may well of bread in the area I saw them as Whaddon Chase woods are right next door!
    Every time I am in Aylesbury at football I see one or two but does anyone know of Kites breeding so far away from their Chilterns stronghold.
    PEV

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

That's good news, they've made a major foothold down here in Berkshire, great to see they are gaining ground up your way.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Yep, good news. Since they have picked up so well and so quickly over here (Oxon/Berks), it must only have been a matter of time. I still stand in awe as they glide over, so some happy days for you

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Only saw one on our way down from Evesham. It was flying low over a field near Oxford's Peartree Interchange beside the A34.

No chance of a pic, going at 70mph (min.!), but it was easily identifiable with its forked tail!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

There's a real Red Kite hotspot further along the M40 towards Stokenchurch, not unusual to see double figures in the skies there.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Ray

Yes also Watlington (Junction 6 on M40) just drive into the town and park in the town car park. I have seen a dozen at a time circling also the wooded hills above the town are a nice walk/picnic and you can see the kites from above sometimes.
    Ray

Real Name
    Ray

Default Red Kites now breeding North Bucks/South Northants border

I have just been told by a reliable source (and an old aquaitance) that a pair of Red Kites have nested and raised a young one in a spinney just north of the River Ouse at Cosgrove Northants.
    ----Myself saw a Red Kite flying low over the River Ouse bridge at Old Stratford on saturday 29th September so it seems we now have Kites breeding way north of the Chilterns 'hot spot' and well away from the other Kite introduction area of Rockingham Forest. What a fantastic happening and now we may start to see these magnificent birds over North Bucks!!

Quote Originally Posted by PEV View Post
    Yes also Watlington (Junction 6 on M40) just drive into the town and park in the town car park. I have seen a dozen at a time circling also the wooded hills above the town are a nice walk/picnic and you can see the kites from above sometimes.
    Ray

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

That's great news, even though they are quite common in the skies here, I still love to look up at them.
    Rolf

Thread Information