Thread: Windows 10

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

Default Windows 10

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

--
    MS now a subsidary of the NSA

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-r...ry-move-358952

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dig deep For This Useful Post:

Catherine (21-08-2015), rolf (21-08-2015)

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

Read more about how to stop it

hxtp://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Have passed on your posts to my son, Mike, who knows more about computers and their workings than I do!

Thanks very much for taking the time to post here!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I've kicked all of that information gathering into touch, wasn't interested in Cortana either.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

I think I got it right too as I read before I clicked - but need Mike to check for me just in case. He builds his own computers, so I rely on him!

Like Windows 10 as it's so fast and so far has never 'hung' on me, but had a bother for it to accept to get Norton 360 as it was doing its best to get me to use Defender! Not sure if Cortana would work for me anyway - sounds silly! Other good points (apart from speed and that new way of viewing the Favourites bar), is the fact that my Norton Password Reminder works better than before, and most things seem simpler!

(Oh and I don't use Bing as I don't like it. I can easily use Google from my Favourites, so that's another good point!)

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Which browser do you use Catherine?
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Varies between the new 'e' (Microsoft Edge) and the old Internet Explorer - depending on which my 'Favourites' brings up at the time. I like the former as it's fast, but like the latter as it includes my Norton toolbar which allows me to log into Identity Safe with my more used (and not security worries) passwords. That toolbar also tells me if any site might be a security risk. I don't use any other toolbar - no matter how often download updates for Java or Adobe try to trick me into doing that!

Mike starts his new job today, so I hope to get him to check over things on this computer and my laptop next weekend - just in case! I also need him to sort my files back-up situation - as I don't think either computer has that working properly. Going to buy another external hard drive too - not just to keep a copy of things here in case there is a computer problem, but so I can keep all those family videos and photos from the last ten years and which feature Glen, as well as photos taken by him.

Poor Mike has a list of 'to do' things from me now as well as those from Becky!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

OK, just wondered, as on Chrome I allocate Google as my search engine and search from the address bar, it should import your favourites from IE and will run most extensions.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes, just had to click 'import favorites' and they appeared! 'edge' now shows 'Google' as one of my regular sites visited too - so that makes life easier. Have clicked the 'off in the two advert options which would allow them to match what they call 'my interests'! Think I hav still one more thing to check, but that will take longer....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Catherine For This Useful Post:

rolf (25-08-2015)

Thread Information