Thread: Avian Flu, what should we do?

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Avian Flu, what should we do?

This looks like it is going to be the story of month, more here, last month we had a few reports of Trichomoniasis in the pigeon and Dove population, but it appears to have subsided.

Will update this thread when more news appears about this and whether there is anything we need to do regarding feeding etc.

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

Do we know how it spreads among the birds ?

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

It is by beak and bum to put it crudely dig deep, brought over by migrating birds like geese and ducks, then spread by the local small bird population to the captive birds.

Cameras and Equipment

Fuji Finepix S7000

I understood the authorities to say that they have never found a wild bird with avian flu in this country...... yet.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes, they are pretty sure that it has so far only been present in migrating birds.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

It would now appear from the events of the last 24hrs, that the bug may have been imported with partially processed turkey meat from Hungary.

What is also concerning, is that what the public believe to be turkey meat bred in the UK, is not in fact bred here at all, but imported from a country where we have no control whatsoever over standards.

Cameras and Equipment

Fuji Finepix S7000

Quote Originally Posted by rolf View Post
    What is also concerning, is that the public believe to be turkey meat bred in the UK, is not in fact bred here at all, but imported from a country where we have no control whatsoever over standards.
    Exactly my thoughts when I heard this info Rolf. Even more galling when Bernard Matthews trades on his 'Norfolk accent'.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

There is obviously a lot more of this going on than we realise, wait for similar cases to hit the news.

Real Name
    Robert
    Cameras and Equipment

Just your average news hound.

Cameras and Equipment

Fuji Finepix S7000

Thanks for the link Robert.

Founder Member

I am sorry this will be a little bit out of topic. One of my students makes a report on bird flu, he is in 4th grade. He needs to choose the style of presentation, and he chose to make a film. I have no idea on how even to help him, it probably could be like news style, but what about the visuals, setting.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Loads of visuals available julia, both stills and film clips, just Google for bernard matthews avian flu, there is a good page of info on the World Health Organisation website as well.

I've not worked with video, so can't offer much advice I'm afraid.

PS. Welcome to the forum
    Rolf

Founder Member

My husband says the avian flu spreads with mosquito bites. Is it true?
    As for my student I will give him the print outs i found here, and hopefully he' ll make something good out of it. It just needs to be creative and informative, so I thought of news style.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

No, don't think that is true Julia, particularly as when the outbreaks amonst birds over here were started it was winter and there are no mosquitos around.

The transmission from bird to bird is normally from bird droppings and shared feed as far as I know and the transmission to humans only takes place in cases where they work or live in very close proximity.
    Rolf

Founder Member

My student is very excited to make a report on bird flu , he said he is gonna start practicing for his british accent.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Will look forward to hearing it Julia.
    Rolf

Founder Member

Me too, he asked me what movie should he see, or program to learn the accent, and since i don't watch tv, i didn't know what to say.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Notting Hill, or Four Weddings and a Funeral would be a good start, any Bond film apart from the Sean Connery ones, or more current Shawn of the Dead, a very funny film.
    Rolf

Founder Member

Yes, but he is a 4th grader. So, i don't know. Shawn of the dead i have seen. I liked it.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Harry Potter then.

PS. Had to google to find out how old a fourth grader would be.
    Rolf

Founder Member

Oh yes, why didn't i think of this before, they are on the spring break now, so he could be practicing.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Well as long as he isn't practising with the Dick Van Dyke accent from Mary Poppins, Cor Blimey Gov'nor.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I just hope this flu doesn't become air bourne

And Dick Van Dyke should hav attended the Central School of School Of Speech and Drama in Hampstead,there they coudl have given him a LOndon Cockney accent. I don't know where he learnt the accent he had in Mary Poppins Lol

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

I still remember it to this day. Isn't it the one that Bart Simpson uses as well when doing cockney.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

ha ha . I don't speak cockney but I know it if I here it and it aint american

I still like watching Mary Poppins I just love that roof top dancing Step in Time
    Brilliant

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default There's a new cockney..

.. (well, it's a more general London accent) being used on American programmes/films... and it's so 'popular' there that I have even heard English actors on the American programmes using it! I get very confused as it's so bad that I would never expect a true Britisher to use it, but they do - I suppose to fit into American expectations

At least Dick Van Dyke in the sixties had a good reason for being so bad - they didn't know any better

Founder Member

My student didn't do the report, oh well, he kept telling me it's coming, and I gave him so much info. I am very upset with him.

Thread Information