Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	218.1 KB 
ID:	3913

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Nice photo Dave, it's a warbler, but I'm not particularly conversant with all of the species, it would appear to be a Chiffchaff.
    Rolf

Merlin

Can't disagree with rolf on this one Daveart. Little brown jobs in the world of 'warblers' are notoriously difficult. The good news is the birds will soon be singing their little heads off, making life for you and I all the more easy.

Best Wishes

Pete

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Looks to me like a Wood Warbler

Merlin

Think it may help to narrow this one down. If its not a Chiffchaff its a rarer 'warbler' but my expertise ends there i'm afraid.

Regarding photography, there are often aspects of it that play 'tricks' and one of these to fool us the most is light. I'm already aware that there are good photographers in this group who contribute regular excellent photoghraphs to the website and this is to be seen only as a personal opinion. In this particular case the image shows darker than in reality in my view.

I look forward to feedback on this, in particular from Daveart.

Pete

Merlin

How do you get the 'expand to original size' option on your image please Daveart.

Iv'e now discovered - since the above posting - how this option comes to be. It appears to be related to the original size of the image.

Pete.
    Last edited by Merlin; 20-03-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Click on the photo and it will magnify.

I only think it may be a would Warbler because . But I may well be wrong. like some books give thee wrong colouring sometimes

Real Name
    andrew
    Cameras and Equipment

most of my efforts are digi-scoped, using an opticron hr66 scope, pentax optio v15 digital camera and homemade adaptor.+ a panasonic lumix fz28

firstly daveart, what an excellent picture. i too would tend to go along with chiffchaff. definetely not a wood warbler. chiffchaffs arrive earlier than willow warblers, as a rule. as pete says they will be singing merrily away soon and this will make i.d. very much easier. sand martins have started to arrive back up in our neck of the wood. these are usually one of the first spring migrants back, followed by wheatears and chiffchaffs. obviously the further south you are, timings will be different to us up in't north.

Cameras and Equipment

I use an olympus e500 camera, 40-150mm lens a 500mm mirror lens

Hi thanks to you all for your comments, it was singing quit a sweet song too. I looked it up in the latest bird book and it does look like a warbler the melodious warbler looked the closest to its looks.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I'd be surprised if it was that one Dave, as the colouring looks wrong, particularly the beak. They do have quite a complex little song though.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Melodious Warbler has a pale yellow beak and a Chiffchaff has black legs. Going by the RSPB book

Merlin

Dave you say the bird was in song. If it was a Chiffchaff and it was singing the ID is pretty straight forward in that the bird actually sings......chiff-chaff-chiff-chaff-chiff-chaff....often lasting for 20 seconds. If you don't identify your bird in the photograph from this voice we have a rarity on our hands.

By the way Dave, you haven't told us when you took the picture.

Pete.

Cameras and Equipment

Hi all it was singing a whistling song, not the chiff-chaff, it was a song quite musical sweet sounding.

Merlin

I'm really interested in this bird now Dave and going to do some research, but any advances on the ID will not be easy if at all possible. Take it from me if it wasn't Chiffchaff - and you say it wasn't - this is a good one.

What are the chances of a photograph sent to me if needed Dave?

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Perhaps it is an early Willow warbler, just lightened the leg part of the photograph (hope you don't mind Dave) and makes that a little more feasible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknown.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	3960  
    Rolf

Cameras and Equipment

Hi pete, I could send you a larger image of this mystery bird, If you are still interested, just need your email address.

Dave

Merlin

Dave

So that everyone knows i'm not ignoring you, i've sent you a private message.

Many Thanks.

Pete.

Cameras and Equipment

Hi pete sent you the photo, hope it helps you better than the small one here.

Dave

Merlin

The photo you sent me was superb Dave, as of course is the one on this thread. According to my contact - who is much better than me when it comes to putting a name to something of a mystery - we were more or less correct from the start in naming it as a Chiffchaff.

Always good to reach a conclusion, nothing worse than not knowing, or wondering what it is you are looking at.

Thanks for your co-operation and help Dave. Now lets have another......said the man propping the bar up.

Pete.

Cameras and Equipment

Thanks pete, I will make a note of it and rename the file, and thanks to your friends too.

Many thanks agian
    Dave

Thread Information