Thread: UK in the summer

Founder Member

Default UK in the summer

Hello as you already know, I am crazy about UK, I live in US, and always wanted to visit. All I have seen is through the TV, and so far I like it. I told my husband today that I want to go there in august, he says it's too hot, too many tourists, and he doesn't want to go. He suggests going in winter, for Christmas. Which season is better?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Hi Julia. Yes July and August are the hotest months, well in the Westcountry. I would think September would be nice .
    I Lived in an American comunity for two years when I lived in Napole and I hardly saw any English people. Came home with an accent too.
    I would love to vist staeside.

Founder Member

I still don't think it as hot as in Texas, we have to stay indoors all the time. I like to walk , and here cars are your only option. How hot does it get in August over there?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Very hot but I can't compare having never been to Texas. I think Texas is most likely to be hotter but in August here some times you need to stay in.
    A lot of elderly die in the heat in july and Augus here. Down here in Exmouth you will find at leest two people pass out a day from heat and have to be attended by parramedics. I usualy carry a bottle of iced water when I go out. Doesn't stay Iced for long.
    We have the hottesrt weather in the UK here in Devon

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Here's a chart of monthly averages up to 2003, we seem to be going through a warm spell the last three or four years, but nothing like Texas I would imagine.

Here's a converter from Celcius to Fahrenheit

The thing with UK weather, is that it is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I agree with the Forrest Gump statement Rolf .Lol

Founder Member

18 Celsius in August, that's perfect, it's about 40 Celsius the whole summer here.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

You should be alright then, 38 degrees is our all time record, but one thing is that air conditioning, although more popular now, is not the norm.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

That is a very good point, Rolf, it may not be as hot as places in the US but it's not as easy to get the relief from the heat. I will be changing jobs shortly, and I have decided that the very first question is gong to be - "do you have air conditioning?" My present job does but it broke down in the hot weather and it brought back memories of trying to work in boiling weather - the brain just won't work. In fact I have just ordered a portable AC unit for my house for those really hot days when it's impossible to sleep - I can get around the sweatiness, but I get VERY grumpy without sleep!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Her's a picture of a typical English summer day, taken today near Streatley, Oxfordshire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pylon.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	653  
    Rolf

Founder Member

ladylouise62, there are ACs here everywhere, so I am always cold in the building.

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I always find that very weird when it's boiling outside and you need a jumper inside. In fact where I last worked you needed a jumper in the summer and short sleeves in the winter. Ridiculous!

I visited the Dead Sea in Israel once and sitting on the bus I couldn't wait to get outside as it was so hot... then I got outside and wanted back in again!!!! It's all relative, isn't it

Thread Information