Thread: Raptor ident needed please

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Raptor ident needed please

Near Courville sur Eure, France. Thought this was a Buzzard at first, but not so sure, it was a long way off by the time I managed to stop, but it was quite close initially and certainly was in the same ball park size wise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raptor_1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	6089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raptor_2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	6090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raptor_3.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	6091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raptor_4.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	6092  

Rolf

Merlin

Juvenile Marsh Harrier Rolf.

Any idea on the status if this species in France, in particular where you took the photograph or perhaps areas you visit over there. I'd be interested and obliged on this Rolf if possible.

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Thanks for that, I'll try and find out Pete, unfortunately I have no birding contacts there.

It was initially at the side of the road, but took off as we approached, certainly a handsome bird.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Well spotted Rolf Nice captures

Merlin

Don't go to too much trouble on this Rolf, I will do some research myself and save you the trouble. That said.....every little helps.

By the way you are right about the size comparison to Buzzard, more or less the same but our largest 'harrier' and an impressive bird which breeds annually at Leighton Moss (down the road from me) for example.

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

It was a Harrier day for us, as we were particularly looking out for the pair of local Hen Harriers, the best we could get on them were the following shots, as they only ever seemed to be moving away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrier_1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	6093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrier_2.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	6094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrier_3.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	6095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrier_4.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	6096  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harrier_5.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	6097  
    Rolf

Merlin

Don't want to get too technical here Rolf but the first pic is of a male, the second and third are of 'ring-tails' so called because females and juveniles are difficult to separate but both have 4/5 black bands in the tail. The third pic appears too pointed in the wing to have been a Hen Harrier but I take your word Rolf and wouldn't do otherwise, obviously a trick of photography of some sort.

You can't help but to have been excited at the sight of these, I know I was recently when I watched three together on moorland just east of my home, the number together was a first for me......great stuff, you simply never know whats around the corner in birding, a greater part of the excitment.

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Do you mean the fifth picture Pete?

There were a group of several birds, we assumed that probably a couple were young ones, one of them could have well been something else, I thought that the last one looked more Kestrel like in wing shape, but this was all done at a distance.

PS. Just checked the data on the photos and the first four are the same bird, as the shots were all taken within four seconds as I followed the flight path of the bird.
    Rolf

Merlin

Apologies Rolf, got this completely wrong but please don't ask how come, maybe I'm taking the wrong tablets.

Run out of time now but will certainly put my response right to these interesting pics tomorrow......see you then!

Pete.

Merlin

OK will start again Rolf.

The first three are all of the same bird as you say which is a 'ring-tail' Hen Harrier, so called as previously explained. However the second pic appears lighter underneath which is why I suggested a male but your info says I'm wrong which means a trick of light on the image. Your last pic suggests a bird with sharper wings than a 'harrier' which fits the Kestrel you thought it may have been.

Like I said Rolf birds don't come much more exciting than the 'harriers' .

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes, I spent ages on my previous visit to France watching a male making low level sorties over a field of oilseed rape, unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Well captured Rolf. Must have been very exciting

Thread Information