Thread: The 'Chats'

Merlin

Default The 'Chats'

By far my most favourite birds, the Stonechat just edging ahead of the Whinchat in popularity for me. I'm afraid both pics are grossly over cropped and therefore not up to my standards.

I was amazed to find on the RSPB website that the Stonechat is in the 'Red' and the Whinchat in the 'Green' surely the converse is the case and have concluded the website is not up to date.

Enquiries are afoot.

Pete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4212.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	6525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img0029.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	6526  

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

They are lovely little birds Pete. Nice captures
    The RSPB says they the stonechats are Amber status and yes the Whinchats are green

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Yes a big favourite of mine as well, missed one the other day, as could hear it, but couldn't see it.
    Rolf

Merlin

Yes I was incorrect in claiming the RSPB had the Stonechat 'Red' when I should have said 'Amber' but I still find this difficult to understand Beryl particularly in the case of the Whinchat.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

There are stone chats at Yateley Park in Hants and some down here I haven't seen a whinchat knowingly
    I have a video of a Stonechat taken at Yateley Park Rolf and I visited there patch. they are lovely little birds a I said but yes unfortunately in the Amber

Merlin

I'm doing some reading on this subject now Beryl which 'may' allow me to change my stand on the status issue but only slightly. I have already found that the BTO suggest a change in status for the Stonechat may be in order.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh. Change which way?

Merlin

From my extensive surveys of the Stonechat over ten years.....to a definite Green Beryl though I would concede peak numbers 'may' now be at its highest.

Also, take it from me the Whinchat status is certainly in need of an update and needs to be Amber and probably teetering on Red in my opinion. The Whinchats problems may rest in their wintering quarters and I'm not sure anyone knows what these problems are.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh right . Thanjs for that

Merlin

The explanation for the confused status ratings for Stonechat/Whinchat is that there is a review due this year and I think we will find a drastic difference when this comes out.

The Stonechat has seen an increase of more than 200% and the Whinchat a decrease of 25% but off hand I cannot remember over what period of time to be precise about this.

Pete.

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

I have never seen a Winchat, they look a really nice bird thanks for sharing the pic Pete. The only place I have ever seen Stonechats was at Angelsey and most recently on the Isle of Luing in the Scottish Isles they were everywhere. They loved to perch on the telegraph wires in large groups.

Thread Information