Thread: Song Thrush- Turdus philomelos

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Default Song Thrush- Turdus philomelos

Just happened to look round at the bushes along the estuary and thought what is that . Well a Song Thrush was that.
    I think young adult
    A familiar and popular garden songbird whose numbers are declining seriously,
    They are in the red status acording to the RSPB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0148.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	6924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0149.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	6925  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Well done Beryl, how close did you manage to get?
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Thank you Rolf
    I was a good way off, about 30 feet. The light was good. Little or no sun. overcast but sort of clean,clear visibility

Merlin

Lovely images of the Song Thrush Beryl. The arrowheads show well and overall the soft lighting has done this picture justice.

A super bird.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Thankyou Pete
    Yes. I'm really pleased with it. You can tell immediately it's a Song Thrush
    The Mistle has round spots

Merlin

Yes, if you know and can see these kinds of details with birds then the ID becomes something of a 'doddle' Beryl.

Pete.
    Last edited by Merlin; 24-10-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

That's the main reason why I started photographing birds Pete, became interested, but found that identification was difficult when only done from memory. Taking photos made all the difference, on some occasions finding that I'd seen something really interesting and not realised it.
    Rolf

Merlin

Using the old saying 'practice makes perfect' says it all Rolf. Of course this includes - as you have said - photographing the birds, also a couple of good reference books (I have lots......too many) is another obvious essential, and as Beryl has indicated, talking to and keeping the company of those who obviously know what they are talking about also pays dividends in the end.

I'm always willing to listen and to learn, certainly don't know everything and sincerely hope I never come across as though I do.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Lol. I talk to every body and I met one chap and we were chattering away about different birds and how to see them and the difference between the male and female Goldfinch.
    I said I'd better let you get going . He said he thought I was very interesting to talk too.

Thread Information