Thread: Steam on the North Yorkshire Moors

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung S85 point & shoot

Default Steam on the North Yorkshire Moors

This was an opportunistic shot where I was in the right place at the right time. We had been out for a ride across the North Yorkshire Moors a couple of weeks ago and on the way back caught up with the last train of the day.

The view 30 seconds earlier was better, - the train was more or less side on with the steam backlit but there wasnt anywhere safe to stop the car

However I think this one came out quite well with the train receding along the valley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SN851145.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	6979  

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Fantastic capture. I love steam trains. Have pics all over my lounge
    This is a beaut. Well done

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Thank you Beryl

Heres one of 30926 Repton. I think the close up accentuates the incredible power of these lovely machines.

Its suffered a little bit from the compression Ive put on it - I didnt think you would want multi meg piccies on every thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SN851055.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	6981  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Great photos Ross, the first is really atmospheric.
    Rolf

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes - I was incredibly lucky to be in the right place at the right time, the lighting just about perfect, and the loco chucking out just enough steam to make it all fit perfectly.

Looking the other way is totally different - its the giant sandcastle like monstrosity of Fyligdales early warning radar system..!!

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Really cool . I put one or two somewhere in the forum.

Merlin

There are a hundred things to say about this Ross but a single line (sorry about the pun) for me says it all. This has to be the best image's of it's kind on this website, it oozes atmosphere and is simply brilliant.

Let you into something I probably would never have had the opportunity or needed to say here until I saw this......as a young 'un I was a fireman on these beautiful monsters and nearly became a driver of them until a nasty man came along called Dr Beeching and ended hundreds of lives......halcyon days 'till he did.

Pete.

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Cheers Pete thats a kind comment. As I said it really was an opportunistic shot. The next one taken a few seconds later isnt anywhere near as good as the steam has been cut off, and the third on is really badly blurred due to camera shake (camera in use - a point and shoot Samsung digital camera on extreme magnification). Just occasionally you are in the right place at the right time and the photography gods are kind to the picture taker!

Merlin

Worth remembering Ross, professionals - who make lots of money from photography - take hundreds of shots of the same subject at the same time then choose the best......can't go wrong really can they!

You took a 'couple' of this train and......WOW. Excellent pic once again Ross.

Pete.

Thread Information