Thread: Camera which one ?????

Real Name
    Dave
    Cameras and Equipment

OLYMPUS

Default Camera which one ?????

Hi guys i would like your opinions on which camera to buy for photographing birds, and any lenses required.

thanks in anticipation

dave

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Hi Dave, unfortunately you will probably get several opposing answers to this question, as everyone will big up their own camera or make of camera and many are brand snobs, in that they are blind to makes other than their own.

I love my Olympus E-520 with image stabilisation and live preview and still have one of my E-500s since upgrading the main camera a couple of months ago.

The problem with Digital SLRs is the price of the lenses, my Sigma 50-500 is around £750, but certainly pulls in the distance shots (it's the one in our avatar), my Olympus 70-300 is much cheaper at £240, but is probably a little short on reach, although Beryl sometimes only uses a 200mm and gets some good results from it.

I lent my E-500 and standard lens to my sister a couple of months back and on the strength of that, she decided to buy the E-520, she seems to be very pleased with it.
    Rolf

Cameras and Equipment

Canon 300D Panasonic FZ50 CS2 Lightroom

Hiya Dave, As Rolf says we all have our favs.I have a Canon 300D.Its a bit long in the tooth but still does a good job with its various lenses. I have however a preference for the Panasonic Lumix FZ50. This is a "Bridge" camera and has a 35mm to 420mm lens (35mm equiv.) plus optical image stablisation. Which all means that I dont have to carry a bag full of gear when I go out and about.

When push comes to shove, it all depends how much you want to spend
    IF TIN WHISTLES ARE MADE OF TIN

WHAT DO THEY MAKE FOGHORNS OUT OF?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Yep. I have a Nikon D80
    I often use a 70- 200mm telephoto lens for action shots . But for real distance I use a sigma 70-300 mm DG macro which switches between macro and normal which also gives really good Macro close ups form 3 feet away much better with a tripod a Rolf suggests and not too good for action due to the weight causing motion blur

Real Name
    Dave
    Cameras and Equipment

OLYMPUS

Thanks guys i think i,ll plump for the E520 i,ve been looking at this one, xmas pressie off the wife, although she refuses to include a 5/500 lense, can,t see why??

thanks for your advice

regards dave

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I'm pretty sure you'll be delighted with it Dave.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Alan
    Cameras and Equipment

Sony A700 Sony 70-400 Sony 18-250 Sony 100mm 2.8 macro Sony 50mm 1.4 Kenko 1.4 converter

Sony makes the sensors for nikon & cannon and more. so quality is constant.
    The only thing I can not live without is auto sensor cleaning, I have cleaned previous cameras but never needed to clean my A700.
    Live view is important if you manual focus.
    Super steady shot will never compensate for a tripod, but is useful.
    Make a good choice because once you have spent load of cash on lenses it becomes expensive to change.
    I owned Nikon for over 10 years then changed to Sony, The disapointment with Sony is availibility of converters, only for full frame, but in the pipe line for my camera.
    Having said all that I love my Sony A700 @ less than £600 just look at my pics.
    Best regards to you all Alan

Real Name
    mike
    Cameras and Equipment

canon 50D sigma 150-500mm

HI I am new to photography and birding, I purchased the canon 50d and its great. Still learning what the functions are. regards mike

Cameras and Equipment

Canon 300D Panasonic FZ50 CS2 Lightroom

Default Types of camaera

One comment I should like to add is that, although different people have different ideas as too which is the best camera to use. Many thing are put forward as benefits but when the bell finally tolls its what is a few millimeters behind the viewfinder /screen that really matters.
    IF TIN WHISTLES ARE MADE OF TIN

WHAT DO THEY MAKE FOGHORNS OUT OF?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I have an DG Sigma APO Macro 70-300mmLens on my Nikon D80. The APO stops the purple and green tinging and doesn't need a filter

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I'll certainly agree with Digidark there (Hello !!!). I spend a lot of time on Flickr and one of my friends there has the same camera as me....... but you wouldn't think so - she is so much better at the whole thing (I hate her )

Real Name
    Chris
    Cameras and Equipment

Canon 5D2, Canon 100-400L IS USM and a bag of other lenses

I'm now using a Canon 5D2 and 100-400L

Next week I'm apparently getting a straight jacket and padded cell for what I spent

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Hi, I'm still using a D300 but just got a Sigma 300 mm f2.8 + 2x converter. Will post some pics soon
    Joe

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

LOL, Chris - it's easy to get carried away, isn't it

Real Name
    Alan
    Cameras and Equipment

Sony A700 Sony 70-400 Sony 18-250 Sony 100mm 2.8 macro Sony 50mm 1.4 Kenko 1.4 converter

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Hi, I'm still using a D300 but just got a Sigma 300 mm f2.8 + 2x converter. Will post some pics soon
    Joe
    I can't wait to see your' pics Joe, I'm toying with the converter idea, Some pictures taken with a converter are dark and poor quality, I think people use cheap ones, Sony converters are nearly £400, but without live view it would be tricky.
    Alan

Real Name
    Chris
    Cameras and Equipment

Canon 5D2, Canon 100-400L IS USM and a bag of other lenses

If you want a teleconvertor then I'd suggest looking at Kenko ones.

Remember a 1.4x teleconvertor will stop your lens down 1 stop, a 2x 1.5 to 2 stops.

That means on a 1.4 your f2.8 will now me more like f3.5

There's no point using a cheap teleconvertor on a good lens, you might as well buy a longer focus cheap lens.

A good place to look at if your buying is onestop digital in HK, their prices for Kenko teleconvertors was really cheap, and they refund any import costs you may get stung for.

Luise my spending went

Canon 40D - Canon 10-22 - canon 24-105L - Canon 100-400L - Sold the 10-22 - Canon 5d2 - Canon 17-40L

Apparently my straight jacket is coming in a nice shade of blue

Real Name
    Alan
    Cameras and Equipment

Thanks Chris, I will take your' advice on Kenko.
    Regards Alan

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Chris, with that sort of spending I would assume your straitjacket to be "in the red"

Real Name
    Alan
    Cameras and Equipment

Chris, I took your' advice and bought a Kenko 1.4
    I'm very pleased. see my bird pics
    many thanks Alan

Thread Information