Thread: Bird of Prey but which

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung Digimax A50 M4A Collapsible Lightweight Tripod An old pair of binoculars X 50

Default Bird of Prey but which

My cousin had this on display , beautiful example, apparently it flew into his window and broke it's neck but was such a beautiful looking bird he had it mounted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05012009 026.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	7882  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Looks like a female Sparrowhawk Neil.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung Digimax A50 M4A Collapsible Lightweight Tripod An old pair of binoculars X 50

Default Ermm

Quote Originally Posted by rolf View Post
    Looks like a female Sparrowhawk Neil.

I could understand that where I live or even further over the Penines but by the sea in Lytham, why would one be there?

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

If there are small birds around, so will there be sparrowhawks Neil.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I would agree there with Rolf. Looks to me like a female Sparrow Hawk.

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

We had ones visit - too often! - in Ayr, and the house was just a hundred yards from the beach, Neil!

BTW, was that in the same house as the face-in-a-mask?

I bet his guests don't sit around long!

Mind you, maybe that's his idea!

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post

BTW, was that in the same house as the face-in-a-mask?

I bet his guests don't sit around long!

Mind you, maybe that's his idea!

Yes Catherine it is and he was plagued by doorstep bible pushers until he started asking them in and you are correct they soon left

Merlin

I was going to let this one 'pass by' Neil but have changed my mind.

The eyes and legs of your mounted bird are not right for Sparrowhawk, yellow in both cases, eye's and leg's, upperparts slate-grey in male and female.

Pete.

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Default Well

I cannot say one way or the other, is it possible that artistic license was used when mounting the bird Pete? or is it a 2nd cousin of the sparrowhawk?

Merlin

Artistic license!

Well the eyes will have been replaced by the taxidermist obviously but that leaves the legs Neil, which poses the question 'can the legs be preserved in taxidermy'?......if they can't then he/she made the wrong choice of leg replacement too if the claim is for Sparrowhawk, and we are still left with the wrong plumage detail. By the way I don't pretend to know what this bird really is.

More from your cousin would be interesting here Neil.

Pete.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

I've had a play and adjusted the white balance and aside from the eyes which are not original, the plumage looks exactly like a female Sparrowhawk, what are you saying is wrong Pete?
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Here is a sparrow hawk the 3rd and 4th in a very similar pose Though I think this is mine a male
    http://www.thamesvalleybirds.co.uk/b...ter-nisus.html
    I think it look like a sparrowhawk too
    Last edited by Chocky; 08-01-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Merlin

Yours is most certainly a male Beryl and nothing remotely like Neils female. I will concede to it being a (brown) juvenile Sparrowhawk on upperparts but (sorry) the eyes/legs are not those of this species. By the way this is not intended as an argumentative issue just a discussion.

I don't recall seeing your Sparrowhawk pics before Beryl......excellent.

Pete.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

It is a discussion I agree . I never meant it to seam as though I was arguing.
    I can't find another bird like it. The stripes on it's tale make me think it's a female Sparrowhawk. I could be wrong and probably am
    I was comparing the stance and the female is much a different colour to the male I agree. My female has it's back to us so cannot compare that one

Thanks for the comment on mine BTW

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

It looks very like this female which pestered the birds in our Ayr garden. I think the false eyes and the faded legs on the one at your cousin's makes you think twice, but I'd still go with Sparrowhawk!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sparrowhawk.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	7925  

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Default Mmmm

I don't think my cousin could help much unless he knows the taxidermist, however I will ask him when I next speak or Email, I have to say seeing Catherine's previous post, the legs look similar to the ones in my picture but yes the eyes are very different indeed.

Real Name
    Mark
    Cameras and Equipment

Leica ultravid 10*42, Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-70mm, Nikkor 50mm, Nikkor 105VR micro Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 100-300F4, Sigma 180mm macro, Sigma 500F4.5, Gitzo 3540LS tripod, Wimberley II gimbal, Arca Swiss Z2 ballhead, Nikon R1C1 macro flash, Nikon SB600 and SB900 flash, Capture NX2, Photoshop CS4

Hi

I'd go for sparrowhawk too. Easy to check - just measure wing length - I know you can't unfold it, but a rough estimate will do

Sparrowhawks are sexually dimorphic with larger females. Male wing length is somewhere under 20cm and females are around 24cm (give or take a few cms on each for individual variation in size. The alternative is a goshawk, but these are much bigger.

Hope this helps

Mark

Thread Information