Thread: Wings of Freedom Charity

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default Wings of Freedom Charity

I met the man Colin Sutherland and two of his "friends" (a tawny owl and a kestrel) at a local Homebase DIY shop whilst they were raising money.

Colin is the founder and main force behind a group (soon to officially become a charity), called Wings of Freedom - It's a group of falconers who both rescue birds and use the flying of them to connect with people with disability.

I met him and 2 'friends' outside a popular DIY shop, collecting for his organisation. He was standing with a Kestrel on his hand, no glove to protect it, explaining all about it to a couple of people. Whenever kids appeared he would allow them to look in his box to see this lovely fluffy bundle. Eventually he brought it out just to show how placid it was, then he returned it to the box and stood again with the stunning Kestrel sitting patiently on his hand.

A very talkative man he told me all about his life with the birds (we talked for over half an hour in between other visitors). Although initially introduced to them at about 7, it was when he was 14 that he moved into a place where birds were kept and bred... and he was hooked.
    The birds being an important part of his life, the organisation started about 25 years ago when it just dawned on him that since dealing with the birds touched him so deeply, maybe it could help people with disability.

Many people were sceptical, but he has proved how effective it is at engaging those with learning difficulties, and how much joy it gives those in wheelchairs. Although he talks about the flying pf the birds, his forte is looking after them (he doesn't have the discipline to fly them well), and he says that he just 'knows' what each creature needs.

For the disabled, the activity is free, but although they are giving their time for free, it does need some money-raising, so as well as money-collecting (like today) - they also do paid falconry sessions ..... so if you are in the south of England and can get to HUNGERFORD in BERKSHIRE - please think of having an experience of a lifetime here, as it will support their activities.

*** I forgot to say - he called the Kestrel 'Flowerpot' - he said that he didn't normally give them names, but when someone asked he looked for the first thing that caught his eye... :-)

www.wingsoffreedom.org.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK - 8978 - Tawny Owl Strix_aluco.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	9875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK - 8975 - Tawny Owl Strix_aluco.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	361.1 KB 
ID:	9876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK 8962 - Kestrel Falco_tinnunculus.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	9877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK 8968 - Kestrel Falco_tinnunculus.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	9878  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK 8969 - Kestrel Falco_tinnunculus.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	9879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK 8972 - Kestrel Falco_tinnunculus.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	9880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SHRUNK 8981 - Kestrel.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	9881  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Sounds like a great idea Louise, may have to save my pennies and go across for a visit.

Some great photos there as well, not often that we can see them so close and in such detail.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

The Kestrel WAS stunning. She opened her wings up properly a few times - but never when I had my camera up (of course.... and I was chatting for over half an hour!!). I do like the sound of going for a visit... and if they do a 4 hour session, it sounds like you get a better deal than when on one of those 'experience' deals.

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Louise, those Kestrel photos are truly brilliant! Well done!

I hope the charity raises enough money to save many, many more birds like Flowerpot!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Thanks, Catherine - I have to admit that since he put so much into the whole thing (and i got such a rare opportunity to get up close) I did donate a little more than I would normally.

Thread Information