Thread: Red Kite - Milvus milvus

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default Red Kite - Milvus milvus

"...got a good picture..." well, this is probably the best I'm ever going to get, although it's not fantastic.
    I was standing at the bus stop last night off to do my weekly shop when, out of the sun, over the tree tops, came the Kite, flying towards me (well, my direction - if it really were towards me I would have run!).
    I scrambled to get the camera out and on (no time to take it off auto or I might have got it more in focus), and it was just flying over me as I managed to snap (almost falling over backwards as I tracked it over my head). To be honest, with it on auto and with me tracking the camera over my head I'm amazed that it's as in focus as it is.

Oh, and as I stood straight, the bus came and the driver gave me a laugh at my antics - I must have looked a sight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH9792 - Red_Kite Milvus_milvus.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	307.3 KB 
ID:	9893  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Well done Louise, cracking shot, they are difficult to capture at the best of times.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Excellent Louise. Lovely shot . Well done

Real Name
    Paul
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D90 and a Raynox DCR 250 and Nikon18-105mm vr , 70-300mm lense and Sigma 150-500mm lens

Great picture.

Keep trying to get a picture of one my self. Never have my camera when I see them though

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I've always got my camera, Paul, but it's either too packed away to get it out in time, or I just can't keep up with the bird as it sweeps overhead. I got one the other evening as it came quite low over an open area I was standing in and I got all excited that I might have got a reasonably focussed shot. I was wrong, it's pretty much like this one (here it is)... still, I'll persevere!

Name:	SH6454 -090706-Red Kite Milvus_milvus.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	336.6 KB 
ID:	10454  

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I think it's a great shot. They are very high and not easy to focus on when moving so I think you have done jolly well

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Thanks Chocky. There are loads of them in my area, and they tantalise by dropping low all the time... but they just won't keep very still, and there isn't enough open space to even spot that they are coming until they are overhead. But everyone needs a challenge

Real Name
    Paul
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D90 and a Raynox DCR 250 and Nikon18-105mm vr , 70-300mm lense and Sigma 150-500mm lens

That is grat picture.

Driving home the other evening by Aldermaston Lock Kite right over the head so low you could see a kill in its claws.

Then the other week sitting in the pub in Silchester and there was a kite so low it looked like you cul touch it again no camera

Though my fried owns the Farm there and said I can come out when he turns the Hay as he has the Kites following him getting the wee field mice, so when I have some free time maybe I will get one.

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Wow, Paul - you must take advantage of that!

Real Name
    Paul
    Cameras and Equipment

I know will be a great chance to test out the new sigma 150-500 lens as well
    just need some free time

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Nice Lens Paul, Joe has that one as well, takes a bit of holding though, glad I've got image stabilisation on my E-520.
    Rolf

Real Name
    andrew
    Cameras and Equipment

most of my efforts are digi-scoped, using an opticron hr66 scope, pentax optio v15 digital camera and homemade adaptor.+ a panasonic lumix fz28

flippin eck!!!!! in focus...out of focus..... id be well chuffed to get a glimpse up here in't north!!! one of my favourite birds of all. they a great shots louise.... you lucky person, you!!!!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh, Andy, I'm so sorry - I suppose I shouldn't tell you that on my 15 minute walk home (suburban Reading) I spotted 3 different ones (they seem to have surprisingly small territories here unless it's couples and an offspring). As I neared home one of them wheeled about, twisting its tail and stretching its talons out, although it didn't try to land. Oh well, at least you know which part of the country to come to see any!

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Paul you must take the sigma 150-500 with you, its a really good lens for the price. I take most of my shots with it hand held. (waiting for it to be repaired, they dont bounce too well)
    Joe

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

I was in my back garden this pm taking shots of insects and one came over really low. Unfortunately the garden is small and surrounded by buildings, so you can't see far and thus don't see it coming (nor have long to try to capture it before it's hidden by other buildings). I was gutted because although I did get a couple of shots the camera was on general metering not spot, so it came our rather dark. Still.. here's my latest attempt. I am determined to get a reasonable shot one day, but it may take me some time.... I feel like Captain Ahab chasing after Moby Dick

Name:	SH0084 -090719-crop2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	10628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0077 -090719-crop.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	10638  
    Last edited by ladylouise62; 19-07-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Registered
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D80 + telephoto. Nikon binocs

Default Red Kite

Hello from a new boy; just to say that we were cruising on the Thames last weekend and I was surprised to see what I thought was a red kite going overhead, about 3pm on Saturday 12th September, near Shifford Lock. I took a few speculative shots (not easy to keep steady on a moving boat). Only had a 28-135mm zoom on the camera so have now enlarged one of the photgraphs enough to confirm that it was a red kite. I must admit I thought they were still restricted to Wales and have only now realised that they have indeed spread this far into England.

Name:	2009-09-12_150828.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	11408  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Welcome to the forum. Yes, the Chilterns and Berkshire Downs have a very healthy population of Red Kites now, where I am to the West of Reading, we have quite a few, certainly well into double figures. Still wonderful to watch.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

It was actually reintroduced into the Chilterns and has definitely spread well because, as Rolf says, there are loads over Reading - you can even see them when shopping in the town centre

I just 'Wikipedia'd' Red Kite and apparently, Shakespeare described London as "..a city of Red Kites and Crows", so they are obviously at home feeding on our leftovers. In fact they were even protected as they cleaned the streets! That explains why I see so many here

BTW, welcome tphantompeer, glad to hear that nature is surprising you.. that's what I love about it! I look forward to hearing more from you!

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Great shots everyone
    Welcome to the forum tphantompeer. Good to have you aboard

Real Name
    Alan
    Cameras and Equipment

Sony A700 Sony 70-400 Sony 18-250 Sony 100mm 2.8 macro Sony 50mm 1.4 Kenko 1.4 converter

Default Well done

Ladylouise
    You did amazingly well to capture this on the spur of the moment. I have to take quite a few and delite most.
    Syd
    This was for your' bus picture.
    I have just joined and still getting my head around it.
    Hello everybody

Thread Information