Thread: Mandarins Hate Us ....Help

Registered

Default Mandarins Hate Us ....Help

On Tuesday we acquired our first ducks - a lovely pair of Mandarins (drake & duck). They were hatched last Spring and have come from an environment with loads of various breeds of ducks, chickens & geese. They were used to human interaction from a retired couple that bred them for a hobby. We made a mistake by not completely having their 7ft x 9ft aviary ready. We bought them home with the intention of letting them loose in the garden which has a large fish pond, to get used to us and meanwhile finish their pond. The journey by car was about 1hr, when we opened the box they headed straight for the pond flapping away frantically (they are both pigeoned), they kept diving under the water and crept up under the decking around the pond. After a couple of hours they appeared again and jumped out of the pond, but whenever we approached them they flapped away. It was starting to get dark and were not able to usher them into the luxurious duck house we bought them and retreated under the decking again.We spent a sleepless night worring about them as we also have a cat with neighbouring cats. Next morning they were happily sitting outside the pond preening and we were quite relieved. Again once we approached them they dived in the water making them impossible to approach. We left them to it and finished their enclosure once and for all. Nearing dusk we tried to usher them but the Drake lept out under the log cabin and did not appear for 2 days.The duck we think scared and in shock was relatively easy to scoot into the secure pen. They are now both in their enclosure and have been together for 3 days now. We acquired some large logs for them to roost on as we now doubt they will use the house. They have a small pond of their own and fresh drinking water and pellets. Every time we approach them they get scared on tend to leap down into their pond for safety. They don't appear to be eating and have tried to tempt them with greens also. They sit on the log which is high up all day and there are no signs of improvement. We have also put a soft radio on in the ajoining garden shed to get more used to human voices, but not change. Our idea was only to shut them up in the aviary at night and to be in the garden during the day when we are around. Does anyone have pet mandarins that can offer any advice? They were not hand reared but will they eventually become tame or are we onto a lost cause. They are so lovely and do not want to give up on them but are thinking if there are no signs of improvement it may be best to return them as they are not happy at the moment, hate us and causing us a lot of concern. Any advise would be appreciated - thank you.

Real Name
    Neil
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung Digimax A50 M4A Collapsible Lightweight Tripod An old pair of binoculars X 50

Default Well

Welcome

I'm afraid I know very little about birds and even less about mallards but I was not aware that mallards could be domesticated as you seem to imply you want to happen, especially as they were not hand reared, they wish to choose their own location to live and follow their instincts. I indeed would go so far as to say I do not think it is fair to put them in an aviary either, but then perhaps that is just me.

Registered

They are NOT Mallards. They are Mandarins. They were born and bred in captivity, they were pinioned as day old chicks (something we dont agree with) so freedom is not an option. They are only put into the avary at night to protect them from Fox's and Badgers, Through the day they are free to roam our gardens and ponds.
    They have now settled down considerably and are getting quite friendly, they are eating regulary and seem happy swimming and splashing about our ponds.

Real Name
    Ann
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300 Sigma 500mm prime and 1.4tc not forgetting the tripod

Hi I am a duck lover and kept ducks as pets in our previous home we bought them as grown animals/birds they were not with us from birth - that MAY or not be the problem, not kept mandarins I must admit but had a few varying breeds of duck.
    WHY not phone the WWT for help and advice if its not too late. I remember well - one pair would not go into their house come dark and we lived in a remote area with foxes around, we chased after them every night trying to catch them and put them safely away (couldnt do it now my joints would not let me) in the end we gave up and left them to it. Like you we kept them as pets to roam the large expanse of garden and we enjoyed watching them and their antics.
    Good Luck, I would be interested in an update as to where you are now in this situation.
    Ann

Registered

Well, unfortunately they never settled down completely, they were always scared of us, we felt in the end we were stressing them (obviously not intentionally) and they were stressing us..... it wasn't working. luckily we found a really nice small holding who were looking for Mandarins so this seemed the best solution for all involved.
    We now have a pair of 'farmyard' ducks who seem very happy, also 2 Cochins, and so the 4 of them live very happily in our gardens.

Real Name
    Ann
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300 Sigma 500mm prime and 1.4tc not forgetting the tripod

pleased the story has a happy ending I didnt realise you posted the original message rather long ago and should have checked before I stepped in but alls well that ends well
    Ann

Thread Information