Thread: Paice's Wood Country Park

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Paice's Wood Country Park

Dropped into this little park for an hour or so this afternoon. Nothing much in the way of water birds, but an abundance of small birds and a very nice place to walk with lots of parking (height restricted).

Didn't get many photos, but did spend a pleasant half hour watching a Grey Wagtail looking for food in a little run off stream, plus think I've located a Red Kite or Buzzard perch.

The access to this park is via Paice's Industrial Estate, off the hill from Aldermaston to Tadley. 51°22'17.36"N 1° 9'25.91"W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paices_wood_lake_PA152030.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	11642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paices_wood_PA152184.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	11643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fungus_PA152181.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	11644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wagtail_PA152041.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	11645  

Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Some nice pics
    Looks a very nice place to visit Rolf.

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Cameras and Equipment

N/a

Looks like it could be a nice walk round.

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Wow, only just spotted the fungi.. amazing stuff, not seen ones like it before!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Ah yes, forgot about that, was going to try and identify it, then it went out of my mind.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I don't usually try to ID fungus as so many are so similar, but I've had a go with this and think it looks a bit like Coprinus comatus Coprinus comatus, the shaggy mane. Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for May 2004, Shaggy Ink Cap (but with a short stalk).

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Just noticed this pic and you're right, Louise. It's a Shaggy Ink Cap (or Lawyer's Wig) fungus.

They were very common up in the Lanark area, appearing on lawns at this time of year. They looked very attractive at first, but very messy when the black 'ink' dripped off them!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Thanks for the IDs. It certainly stood out.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

I find fungi really fascinating. There are SO many different types and colours, and I have several books about them!

One I'll never forget is the Stinkhorn, named because of the dreadful smell of rotting meat which it gives off when it opens up and wants to attract flies to help spread its spores.Stinkhorn Fungi - Phallus impudicus - UK Safari

To see it at first, it looks like a well used whitish ball - midway between golf and hockey size - nestling amongst leaves at the foot of trees. However, when it opens up and is covered in flies, you can smell it before you see it! (Enlarge the 'golf ball' shape on that page, then click 'the stinkhorn in action' link.)

Looking up for a pic of it I also found this unusual fungus;
    'Octopus Stinkhorn' fungus found at Rosemoor - Rosemoor Garden, then this one; Stock Photography image of The Veiled Stinkhorn fungus ( Phallus indusi stock photo
    and what it gave someone the inspiration to design! Photo 2 for Trend 55895

(My interest in fungi started when we stayed in Lanark and drove to nearby Dawyck (Dawyck Botanic Garden | GardenVisit.com, the garden landscape guide) for autumn walks in the woodlands near the road. There were fungi of every shape and colour there - from yellow and bright orange to reds, greens and deep purple. From the Boletus variety which are made into soup in France to the highly poisonous Death Cap, each has its own agenda and each is equally fascinating!)

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Thanks for confirming, Catherine, I really know very little.. well, nothing, about fungus, and only attempted this because it was so unusual
    I agree that hey are fascinating, and I would like to know more, but so many are so similar I find it too difficult to work it out usually. I did a five minute walk from the supermarket to another shop and found 3 different sorts of fungi in the verges - it seems to be a good season this year for them. I'll post them later and maybe you will be able to shed some light, because I doubt I'll get too far

BTW, I love the latin name of the Stinkhorn

Thread Information