Thread: Windows 7

Cameras and Equipment

Canon 300D Panasonic FZ50 CS2 Lightroom

Default Windows 7

Has anyone else tried Windows7 yet. I think its a Saville Row version of XP. Fell in love with it as soon as I used it. In my opinion, if you are running Vista (as I was) then you need it. If you are running XP, you to will love it.

If you have a machine that was bought between June 09 and Jan 10 then you should get a free upgrade ,via the manufacturer. You do have to pay p&p etc.

I hope this is useful
    IF TIN WHISTLES ARE MADE OF TIN

WHAT DO THEY MAKE FOGHORNS OUT OF?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Haven't tried it ye. I think Rolf has a version . I may have my Laptop upgraded at some point from Vista.

Had my Laptop two years now but thanks.

Cameras and Equipment

Honestly Beryl, you really should go for windows 7.If for nothing other than the fact, you don't use up as many of your PC's resources. Rolf will know better than I.................Maybe not, I have given it some stick recently, I mean real stick, and it shines.

Ps ......I aint a computer whizz kid. My friends are changing to it, some for free and some (like me ) paid for the upgrade. What upsets me is that most of them have a chance of the free upgrada

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I have a lot to sort out at the mo'. Having just moved house I have to sort out my financess. so I have to get my priorities right . But I will probably go for it.

Cameras and Equipment

Of course Beryl, Its worth it eventually. Lets see if anyone else has any comments.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

I had a version, but never installed it. Won't do anything at the moment, as both of my desktops work fine and my laptop is only for very occasional use. Glad they've dumped Vista though. They seem to be making a habit of this, from Windows 98se, which was quite good, they went to Millenium, which was a crock, then XP which was good, then Vista which was a crock, I wonder what they'll do after 7?
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes 98se was probably the most stable and also I agree with you on XP. Vista need so much memory it stops working if you haven't enough instead of borrowing it from elsewhere like XP does. I may get my Vista changed but not really sure to what yet.

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

Well, I have a dual boot Vista/W7 so I can choose.

I am not used to W7 yet so most of the time it´s Vista.

I kind of like Vista Never had any problems with it.

I´ll see if I ever get used to W7, I don´t really bother as Vista runs fine

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Had XP - loved it!

New computer has Vista - hate it! - Far too fancy and not as logically designed as XP.

I've heard varied revues of Windows7, so I'll watch and wait at the mo'!

(Well, by the time I can afford to upgrade, all the glitches will be sorted, won't they?)

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes. I have vista on my Laptop. Had to get more ram in order to use Movie maker properly and it does have comparability issues. I don't care for it too much. But am also dubious about widows 7. Think I'll hang on until all the bugs are sorted out

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Still have XP and very happy with it. Wont upgrade to 7 until bugs are sorted out.
    Joe

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I've not tried Vista (or W7), but am happy with XP, so I'm in no hurry. I might feel different if i tried them, but then I haven't, so I don't

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

The XP is "dead" for Microsoft now, no more service pack or updates.

They want You to upgrade

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Yeh, because they REALLY need my cash to keep going

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Lol. Yes. I will stay with XP. It's not dead it still alive and kicking and most o the big companies use it as they do Office 2003 of which I have 2007
    but yes you won't get any more service packs but it still updates. There is no service pack 3 for but you won't get any more upgrades Vista. I have Vista on my Laptp

Cameras and Equipment

A I said at the start of this thread, it appears to be XP but the saville row version. I have been using it for a week (not very long I know) but I feel completely at ease with it. The biggest advantage I find is that it is far less "greedy" than Vista and therefore helps the machine run faster and more efficiently.

As Rolf pointed out. 98 good, millenium bad, Xp good, Vista bad,Windows 7 therefore should be good, we shall have to wait and see.

Real Name
    Crister
    Cameras and Equipment

Phone or my Canon

Here is a nice site with some tips and tricks

Code:
     http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/62-windows-7-tips-tricks-and-secrets-643861

Cameras and Equipment

Interesting site Crister. I have had a quick look and will spend more time on it later in the day. Thanks for the info

Thread Information