Thread: Herky Bird transporter

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Default Herky Bird transporter

Flying low along the Exe estuary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0278.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	11900  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Ah the old Hercules, a great sight.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

They are very big when low flying. It was up the other end f the estuary it suddenly turned.
    I missed the shot

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Paul
    Cameras and Equipment

N/a

Nice shot

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Thank you Paul.
    Wish I'd been facing it when it flew in as it turn almost an ark and I captured it as it straightened out

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung S85 point & shoot

Nice pic. When I was working in Yorkshire 20 years ago I was driving along the Malham Cove road. I saw 3 hercs in the distance so stopped at the top of the cove and watched in amazement as they were below me as they approached! With all the engines howling they pulled up hard as they approached the Cove and screamed over a few hundred feet above me.

Not quite as dramatic as the Vulcan doing a nose hard up vertical climb directly above the crowd at an RAF Stafford airshow 30 years ago but still a treasured memory

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Thank you
    Oh yes. The Vulcan blacks out the sky.
    I used to see all these planes close up when I was at RNSA Culdrose. Fantastic .

My son saw a Vulcan break up in the sky when we lived in Malta, came down in a built up area too. No one was hurt but one lady died of a heart attack

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Ouch.

The RAF Stafford one did a couple of low passes over the crowds then the pilot put the nose hard up directly above the main crowd and lit up the afterburners. The racket was absolutely unbelievable! I can still see the white hot glow up in the exhaust system today - and it was well over 30 years ago now.

Passes like that would never be allowed these days

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes. Well a Maltese lady living down stairs married to a Marine her mother lived in the town where it came down. She was off home like a shot. Her mum was ok
    Funnily enough my son was about 6 when the one in Malta broke up. I think he still remembers and he is 40 now

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Beryl, we used to see Hercules often at Prestwick Airport, where they dropped off troops from (and collected troops to go to) war zones. They are great workhorses for air forces of the world.

On holiday at Straloch (a quiet village near Pitlochry) one summer, we were frequently woken up by that noisy aircraft flying low along the glen. It terrified us, and I know it was hated by the sheep farmers near us. We couldn't understand why it should be allowed to continue those hazardous, low level practice flights so close to human habitation.

A year or so later, this happened; http://aviation-safety.net/database/...0527-0&lang=fr

(noisy RAF jets often passed us - in twos - also, but their much more agile flight didn't scare us as much!)

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Gosh that's awful.
    I loved it at RNAS Culdrose. Very noisy when th were testing scimitars.
    The Buccaneers were my favorites.
    Fairy Gannets were always crashing an some Sea Vixens crashed too
    Last edited by Chocky; 17-01-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Theres quite a few American Hercs flying into Port au Prince airport as part of the aid effort reaching Haiti at the moment - Ive been watching them on a live satellite feed from the airport

Plane spotting from your own desk - thats the life

Name:	herc.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	12452  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Analoguesat View Post
    Plane spotting from your own desk - thats the life
    Certainly is.

Just ordered a hauppauge video input card, so that I can once again take screen captures.
    Rolf

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Heres a rather nice pale blue example which I saw for a few seconds as it took off

Name:	bluey.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	12458  

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Talking of aircraft as we were, and having mentioned Vulcans earlier in the thread this story made me laugh.

Snow made this Vulc tip over at Sunderland airport last week. No damage done, and the pic shows the museum making the big bird safe for when the snow melted so there werent any accidents.

Full story and more pics

BBC - Vulcan bomber in Sunderland tips over with heavy snow

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	12459  

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
    Yes. Well a Maltese lady living down stairs married to a Marine her mother lived in the town where it came down. She was off home like a shot. Her mum was ok
    Funnily enough my son was about 6 when the one in Malta broke up. I think he still remembers and he is 40 now
    Just remembered this thread and done some looking.

It was Vulc XM-645 in October 1975

Thread Information