Thread: Bonnie's Tale

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Default Bonnie's Tale

Was just looking at this little clip narrated b Richard briers. I thought I would share it with you

Bonnie's Tale - a short film narrated by Richard Briers

More

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

It certainly isn't normal practice though, Beryl. You see many seals alongside fishing boats and in harbours like Mallaig, being fed scraps by the fishermen from their boats.

I've never heard of seals being shot off the west coast of Scotland apart from when they have broken into salmon farm pens in (e.g.) Kilchattan Bay where they have eaten many fish, and allowed thousands to escape as the frames and nets had been broken.

I can understand the plight of those whose businesses are being ruined and whose livelihoods are being threatened by 'rogue' seals which do that kind of damage.

There are great colonies of Seals all down the west coast of Scotland. They are everywhere - from Portpatrick right up to (and past) the Isle of Skye. There are both Grey and Common Seals, and you see them lounging on the rocky shores and islands everywhere you sail.

However, natural fish stocks are decreasing in the seas around Scotland. Fishing fleets have been decimated as fishermen have had to give up their boats as catches have been pitiful, citing the seals as one reason there are fewer fish to catch. I really love seals, but, like them, I also like to eat fish. It is a problem that I'd not like to have to sort out

Some seals also swim up rivers and plunder trout and salmon stocks, and it is not easy to deter them once they have caught the scent of an easy meal.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

I don't know too much about it but some are obviously killing them like a chap was put in jail for clubbing the pups to death. I think it's sad when any animal is killed but as you say it's not normal practice. And if they break into salmon farms I have to agree.
    It's the first I have heard actually so if it is going on I thought it a good idea to help bring awareness.

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I can't see that seals have too much of an effect on natural fish stocks - human overfishing and at the wrong time and place is what really causes the issues.

Europe went to Newfoundland to fish in 15th century because it had "preternatually rich" stocks there, but in the 1950's they started with factory ships and now the the stocks are gone. Although fishing has of course now stopped, the Cod have not returned because (they think), a fish that was once predated by Cod is now in large numbers and now predate on young Cod, stopping the stocks from increasing... so we've changed it forever.

On the other hand - although Cod fishing stopped in Canada in the early 90's because of such low stocks (less than one 1% of earlier levels), I recall hearing that the stocks are now quite well replenished and limited fishing has been allowed in one area, although reports are conflicting so it could be more of a political decision than based on real changes.

If you are interested in reading more about Cod - Cod fisheries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I of course checked up before I quoted any facts and found this quote on Wikipedia "Declining fishing stocks and the Hansa cabal to close the fisheries near Bergen off the Norwegian coast in 1410" . So it's not just a modern issue, and interestingly enough links to this mornings discussion about Germany )

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Louise, I'm not sure if 'Global warming' has had much to do with the problem, though realise that over-fishing [especially once EU countries (particularly Spain) were allowed to fish in what had been our waters] certainly IS part of it.

Prior to the EU rule changes, there were fishing ports all round us on the Ayrshire coast - from Ballantrae, through Girvan, Dunure, Ayr itself, up to Troon and Irvine, etc.

Now there are very few fishing boats in Girvan, none in Dunure and none in Ayr itself, the fishmarket on the harbour also disappearing. Troon is now the only real fishing port, and it has few boats - most being surrendered to be destroyed for belittling Government compensation.

The remaining fishermen have to struggle to make a living, especially with new rules on what and how many fish can be caught, so I can well understand the action a few feel they are forced to make when the increasing numbers of seals appear to be competing for their meagre harvest!

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I didn't think I'd suggested anything about Global Warming - I didn't mean to and I certainly haven't heard that that has anything to do with it, just overfishing.

As for fishing in general, to my eyes it's the big ships that suck in everything in the area.. then have to chuck half of it back - that's the problem. It's all such a waste.

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Louise, I wasn't meaning to quote you there.

I was only saying that 'Global Warming' is another reason given for the lack of fish stocks up north - the larger, southern predator fish coming north into our waters and 'dining' on 'our' fish here. The warmer waters we have now are also being blamed for traditional shoals swimming further north and out of our reach.

I know full well what you mean by those large 'factory ships' gorging on our supplies. You only need to visit Ullapool (or the more remote island ports) to see Russian fishing boats loaded with fish before going back NE.

I'm not sure that adjusting the net sizes has really helped as much as was hoped. Using regulation nets, fishermen still have to return a good part of their catch into the sea - even though it is no longer alive. (There was a great programme on TV about this earlier in the year.)

I don't know the figures, but I DO know that there's only a skeleton of the old British fleet now working in our own waters.

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Ah, fair enough - communication can be so difficult when writing

Yes, I despair at the whole thing. I understand why they don't want to allow them to keep more than they are allowed, but it's pointless to return it if it's dead. There's also the problem with the nets that trawl all the way to the bottom, damaging the sea bed.

Honestly, we humans really are a mess, and yet we claim to be intelligent!!

Thread Information