Thread: Pigeon Problem

Default Pigeon Problem

Hi, Does anyone know of a bird feeder that outwits the dreaded feral pigeon? I am having an ongoing battle with pigeons, they knock the feeders then feed off the lawn, they are a complete nuisance, any ideas greatly received. Thank You.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Hi Naranja, welcome to the forum.

The feeders I use should do the trick, they are also anti Squirrel as well, here are some examples:

http://www.thenuttery.co.uk/customers1/index.php (My Favourite)

http://www.elgate.co.uk/product.php?...t_id=60594-000

http://www.horticulturalhappenings.c...x.php?cPath=70

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/pages.php?...907d505241b8fc

Anything which is anti Squirrel, will also be anti Pigeon.

I have a couple of other types as well, will try and dig out some photos.

There are also ground feeding cages, which only allow the smaller birds in, so when the Pigeons can't get any food, they will eventually go elsewhere.
    Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thank you that's great, I am going to order a couple of the squirrel type feeders, hopefully they'll do the trick, I also like the sound of the cage-type that go on the ground, maybe I could place this type under my original feeder, then if the pigeons do knock the seed out of the feeder it'll land in the cage and ha ha I'll have won my battle!!! (My family have told me I am becoming obssessed, I've tried allsorts of contraptions!!) I do feel a little guilty I didn't mind a couple of pigeons visiting my garden, but it quickly got out of hand and they are a health hazard, also I don't think my neighbours appreciate their visits. Thanks again. (Tina)

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

You're welcome tina, let us know how it goes, perhaps take a couple of snaps for the forum.

Just found the ground feeding cage. http://www.birdventures.co.uk/ground...mesh-p-94.html
    Rolf

Registered
    Real Name
    Jon
    Cameras and Equipment

compact Leica binoculars and compact digital camera.

Hi Rolf & Naranja,

It was this feral pigeon problem that led me to the forum, and to your exchange of messages. In our experience it is not likely to be helped by having squirrel-proof dispensers. It seems that most of the "legitimate" visiting birds drop quite a lot of un-eaten and partially-eaten seeds onto the lawn below. The pigeons then spend hours wandering around pecking at the ground. They have killed that patch of lawn entirely. What I think is needed is either a catching tray with grille-top slung under the feeders, or a very sizeable shallow cage to protect the lawn from the pigeons. There is the former product available from Canada, but no-one seems to make or market it in UK. For our array of feeders, a ground cage would have to be at least 2X2 metres to catch all the scattered seeds. Cheers, Jon

Thread Information