Thread: blashford lakes

Real Name
    Ann
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300 Sigma 500mm prime and 1.4tc not forgetting the tripod

Thumbs down Blashford Lakes greenfinch

Had a great time yesterday, nice and sunny not too cold so went to Blashford Lakes for a couple of hours, what a great place (New Forest, Ringwood) this is one of my better shots and my first greenfinch off the feeders
    Ann
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bford 199ep.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	648.8 KB 
ID:	12935  

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

That's a lovely shot Ann, not been to Blashford, may have to get down there later in the year.
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Yep, certainly is a fine shot.

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

where abouts is it, i was driving up through ringwood on sat and was planning to go back to the deer place once they start feeding again... So would be tempted to find this place, though in the forest i do tend to get lost on purpose as its such fun...

Real Name
    Ann
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300 Sigma 500mm prime and 1.4tc not forgetting the tripod

Default Billy - re: Blashford Lakes

Billy - off the 338 (going towards Salisbury) there is a sign for water skiing, it doesnt actually say Blashford Lakes but once you take that signpost there is another not far from it which will say Blashford Lakes the hides are signposted you want the visitor centre, that will take you to the woodland hide - if you find the tern hide once inside Blashford the woodland hide is on the opposite side of the road with plenty of parking, its also not far from the museum and a cafe hope this helps. Here is a link that might also help you - good luck there is a little map if you use the link, the turning is soon after the museum

Blashford Lakes Wildlife Reserve

Ann

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Default blashford lakes

6rBlashford lakes is just north of ringwood on the west side of the new forest. This place is easy to find with ample parking by there tern hide, and lovely walks round to the other 5 hides.
    Though i didnt get round them all i have to say all the hides are good for birdwatching but not all are good for photos. Ivy hide north if i rember rightly is all plastic windows, bar the side ones makiing photo taking hard. Woodland hut is brilliant, with the bird feeders but again the plastic window infront of one makes taking photos hard. Ivy hide south is brilliant, with all the windows able to open and take pictures.
    Though a pain it cant take away how brilliant a location this is, with a vast number of walks, where your surrounded in the sun by all sorts of insects and other wildlife.
    The ability to hire a buggy to get round, and all they ask is a donation makes this place for me. There are also a large number of routes, set up to take the buggy with the use of the radar key system. You can get to all the hides with them, though not into them though i tried to drive through one when i forgot to break.

Also the people in the hides are so helpful and the staff they help you id things, point out places to see certain things. I was lucky to see the grass snake before sheding, dragon flies, damsel flies, loads of fox gloves, rabbits, deer, hobby, little grebe, great creasted, plover, the list goes on.

This isnt a place for a short visit its a place for the whole day, cause you will spend hours watching for various things esp on a hot day.
    My one major downside appart from the plastic windows, is they dont open hides till 9am and close them all at 4.30 which on a nice day feels way too early.. though the paths are still open...

Name:	06 16 10_6809.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	14166  

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

some pics from the place...

Name:	06 16 10_6809.jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	14163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 16 10_7003.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	14164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 16 10_7194.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	14165  

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

What a great description of the place, Billy! Many thanks for taking the time to describe the site.

Although we stay fairly near to Blashford Lakes, we 've only passed them twice. Now I feel we need to go back and have a closer look!

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    What a great description of the place, Billy! Many thanks for taking the time to describe the site.

Although we stay fairly near to Blashford Lakes, we 've only passed them twice. Now I feel we need to go back and have a closer look!
    its well worth a closer look and i loved the buggy i did try to fit it on my car roof but im not that strong....

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Nice account Billy, have moved the thread to places to visit section.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Sounds like a great place, and I love the fact that they provide a buggy. Billy, brake.. I SAID BRAKE!!!!

It's a pity about the windows, though. I suspect that many people are disappointed by it. Maybe they will do something about that when they have saved up some money. But I love the fact that they mark up what has been seen recently on the board - it gives you something to realistically aim for. You didn't see the Osprey though I suppose (or you would have been talking about it)

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Quote Originally Posted by ladylouise62 View Post
    Sounds like a great place, and I love the fact that they provide a buggy. Billy, brake.. I SAID BRAKE!!!!

It's a pity about the windows, though. I suspect that many people are disappointed by it. Maybe they will do something about that when they have saved up some money. But I love the fact that they mark up what has been seen recently on the board - it gives you something to realistically aim for. You didn't see the Osprey though I suppose (or you would have been talking about it)
    well i did think the hide needed to be nearer the water!! lol...

Got to say though a pain, it doesnt detract from how cool this place is, for supporting less able people and getting people so close to wildlife. Like the grass snake, looking at the pics it shows its ready to shed...

New forest.wmv,this is a basic video of the pics i took over the day...

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Very nice, Billy - I love your titles I know it's not nature, but I loved the church because of that wonderful early light... I rarely see light like that - I'm not good in the mornings

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Very nice, Billy - I love your titles I know it's not nature, but I loved the church because of that wonderful early light... I rarely see light like that - I'm not good in the mornings
    well my alarm went off at 2am 2.30 and finally got up 3am so only just got there in time for that kind of light... should go out in the winter more, longer lie in's!!

Thankyou, and thankyou everyone for giving me the names for most of them.

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Longer lie-ins, perhaps... but you may come back missing the odd toe or finger from the cold

Cameras and Equipment

Olympus dslr e410

Longer lie-ins, perhaps... but you may come back missing the odd toe or finger from the cold
    thing is my better half would be the first to notice i dont feel the cold easily!! so long as my photo finger survives it will be fine!!

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Very nice write up Billy well done. You seem to have had a lovely day I'm so pleased for you

Loved the Video

Cameras and Equipment

Canon Eos 40D,Canon Eos 20D, Canon prime 400 mm Sigma 50 -500 mm , Kenko 1.4 converter,Gitzo Tripod ,Ameristep Doghouse Bird Hide

I have been here myself a few times, a nice reserve,with plenty of hides,I could not find the Great White Egret.

Real Name
    Alex Berryman
    Cameras and Equipment

Sony a500 Tamron 70-300mm 2X Teleconverter Camlink 20-60-60X

I am taking a trip to Blashford lakes in a few days and was told recently that there is a spot nearby where hawfinches roost (about 5 or so). I have forgotten the name of it, does anybody know where I am talking about, if so, what is it called?

Many Thanks
    Alex

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

In case you haven't noticed. Interesting happenings this weekend at Blashford Lakes;

Dragonfly Walks
    Interactive map of the New Forest
    and Minibeasts
    http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/map/de...5801&easi=true

I know there are many of you who love to photograph those insects! (Though you might need to 'borrow' a child for the second one!)

Thread Information