Thread: What recession?

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Default What recession?

At Southampton yesterday, we watched 3 of the largest ocean-going ships leave on cruises. Two were custom-built cruise ships and the other was a very special ocean liner!

The three ships get ready to sail. (pic 1)
    Then the QM2 sounds her whistle. P8140093 QM2's whistle.. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Next she leaves for Hamburg. (pic 2)
    She is followed by Ventura, on a world cruise (pic 3)
    Close behind her, also to sail the world, is Independence of the Seas (pic 4)
    They sail into the distant rain towards The Solent (pic 5)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	15498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	15499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	15500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	15501  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	15502  

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Wow, as you said "what recession?" I bet they are pretty grand inside, although the whistle isn't quite as 'grand' as I would have expected.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

They never cease to impress me, the sheer size is awesome.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

It is very loud, and the whole ground vibrates when it sounds.

I think this clip has picked up an echo - at least it didn't sound like that in real life - just three very loud, long, low blasts!

Perhaps the recording lacks something - like a decent photographer behind the lens!

Founder Member
    Real Name
    Ross
    Cameras and Equipment

Samsung S85 point & shoot

Wow those cruise ships are beautiful. I remember seeing some cruise ships down at Southampton 30 or so years ago. I think SS France was one of them.

Cruise ship Amsterdam (a Holland America line ship) was in Victoria one of the days we were there

This list is interesting:

-http://www.victoriaharbour.org/c_deepseacruises.php

shows the huge numbers of ships in and out of Victoria during 2010. Recession - what recession

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Very interesting, Ross!

The QM2 is certainly worth going to see - especially when she is in the QE2 berth - just opposite Hythe Marina Village (Good, paid parking and lots of seats there!)

You can check when she's in by looking up - Southampton VTS - Cruise Ship Schedule
    And for the times of arrival/departure - Southampton VTS - Shipping Movements This also tells you where ships have come from and are going to. (That page also helps you comparer the weights, thus sizes, of ships.

The QM2 is really special. Now, when that Lottery win comes up.........................

- Unless, of course, I opt for the new Queen Elizabeth... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...es-months.html

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

In case you thought these ships were empty, they were all actually like this - so why would I want to be like a sardine crowded in a tine when I can stay at home with lots of space to roam free?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QM2 crowded.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	15534  

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I'm with you there. Not being a greatly sociable person, I'm not sure that I would really enjoy a cruise. I did an 'educational' cruise around the Med back in the late seventies with the school (I worked a year on the BHS cheese counter to afford it), and hated the fact that you were never alone (we were in a dorm). On a historical note, it was the SS 'Uganda' which became a medical ship in the Falklands war.

Thread Information