Thread: Blue Bird in my backyard

Founder Member

Default Blue Bird in my backyard

Hello, I have a blue bird in my back yard, she comes every day, and just sits in the bushes. I am wondering if it's normal, it probably found something there.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Yes, I guess that he/she has found a nice little resting place.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

What is a Blue Bird?
    I have never seen one

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

Yeah, I was just wondering that Chocky, but then I noticed that Julia lives in the USA, wonder if it's anything like our Blackbird but blue, what's it like Julia?

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

they look like a robin, but with a blue back and wings, very pretty.

Rolf

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

Thanks for that Rolf, oh they are gorgeous, yes they are very similar to our Robin aren't they, I wouldn't mind one or two of these in my back yard

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Not sure what they eat, but I guess that if julia put out some water and food, then she may encourage it to stay and perhaps attract some other species.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Bluebirds are attracted to platform bird feeders, filled with grubs of the darkling beetle, sold by many online bird product wholesalers as mealworms. Bluebirds will also eat raisins soaked in water. In addition, in winter bluebirds use backyard heated birdbaths.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

Ha ha they are not daft are they, heated birdbaths, whatever next. Best not tell our birds

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Oh. Well I thought some one was joking . I didn't know that Julia lived sate side. That explaine it, lovely looking bird.
    Thanks for that info.

Founder Member

The bird is called blue jay, and it's very common here. I don't know what they eat, probably geckos.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Ah, now that is a different kettle of fish, Jays eat pretty much anythine, ranging from seeds to small reptiles, still a beautiful bird though, very similar in general appearance to the British Jay.

Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I have nevr seen a british Jay yet. Very pretty especially in the snow.

Founder Member

beutiful photo Rolf, I think american blue jay looks different, i haven's seen the close up though.

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

wow what a stunning picture rolf, aren't they just beautiful

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes they are, not my photo I'm afarid, linked from Wikipedia.
    Rolf

Thread Information