Thread: What to do with spent energy-saving bulbs

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default What to do with spent energy-saving bulbs

I had been wondering for a long time what to do when the first of my ES bulbs bit the dust, knowing that they should not go into the normal rubbish as they include mercury.... and I don't really want to have to drag myslef to the rubbish dump for one bulb, especially since i don't have a car!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, an organisation of volunteers has set up collection points around the country. In Reading there are 6, and some are fairly accessible to me. Got to this site and choose the "Find a Recycling Point" tab to find your nearest.
    CoBRA Scheme, Community Bulb Recycling in the UK, safe and free advice in partnership with Recolight Ltd

On a related note, those in the Reading area (who have their own red bin rather than communal collection) can now have their batteries collected by the council bin men
    "A new doorstep collection service for old household batteries will roll out across the borough during April. All residents will need to do is leave any spent batteries they may have in a sealed clear sandwich/freezer bag on top of their red recycling bin. Bin crews will collect them and take them away for recycling. " About time!!!!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

That sounds good, about time too.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Didn't realise they couldn't be put in the bin! (Possibly never read any instructions on their packets!)

Red bins? We don't even have blue, green or grey ones here! Each week we put out two poly bags of rubbish - a black one for household waste, and a clear one for anything to be recycled. These poly bags are given to us on two rolls, twice a year.

Any glass bottles, garden materials, etc. have to be taken to special collection places. It's easy for the bottles as there are so many collection bins around, but our New Forest 'recycling area' is near Lymington, down a long, narrow and bumpy country road. The 'depot' is tiny and comprised of three or four skips, into which you have to tip your stuff. Once you actually get to the front of the LONG queue of cars to get there, it is difficult to turn the car round in such a small space.

Consequently, following the advice of neighbours, we go to the much closer 'state of the art' recycling centre at this side of Christchurch. Technically, I think you should be Dorset council tax payers to use that place, but no-one has said that, or even asked - so far!

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

What, no wheelie bins? That's a pain - I throw away cat litter and it's fairly heavy. Ours doesn't take away bottles, but it's a little easier than your epic journey !

Thread Information