Thread: Another Hello from Reading

Default Another Hello from Reading

Hi all,
    Not sure how active this forum is?! but found it whilst trying to find a good spot for owl spotting in/around Reading.
    I live in Lower Earley, and whilst we get an abundance of kites/buzzards and a selection of garden birds, I'm finding the owls are rather elusive!

Looking forward to reading through some of the things on here and seeing what I can find out

Gav

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Hi Gav, welcome to the forum. Not the busiest in the world, but always someone about.

Not so sure about Owl sites, although I'd like to spot some myself.
    Rolf

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Hi Gav, There is a barn owl box at Dinton Pastures visible from the path leading tp Bittern hide
    Joe

Real Name
    Catherine
    Cameras and Equipment

Fujifilm FinePix S8200 plus Samsung J5 mobile phone camera. Chinon Compact 9-21 x 25 RB binoculars and 10x - 30x60 Zoom binoculars

Welcome from me too, Gavin!

I live too far south of you to be able to help.

Although we hear many Tawny Owls in the Oak trees around here at night, we very seldom see them.

I hope you have more luck up in the Reading area!

Cheers guys,
    Joe, I've seen that box up there, but have always wondered if it's actually used? there are always kids trying to scrabble up that tree

I'll keep checking back here from time to time, as at least there are some locals here!!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Here's a photo of it taken by one of our members.

Rolf

erm, that's clearly not the same one I'm thinking of... I was thinking of the box that's mounted on the big oak tree on the corner of the lake, about 200 yards further round from the rowing club.
    Will definitely head out there for a gander then.
    I hear they've got kingfishers at dinton too, that's also on my list for 2013

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

That's on the car park side of Lavell's lake, where there are also Kingfishers.
    Rolf

*heads off to google maps*

Ok, the other side of Sandford Lane, and I see there is a car park too.
    Awesome. Thanks guys!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yep, a great little lake, two hides available and if you join the Friends of Lavell's group, there's a brand new third hide on the adjacent Lea Farm Gravel pit.
    http://www.thamesvalleybirds.co.uk/p...e-reserve.html
    Rolf

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rolf For This Useful Post:

RacingSnake (03-01-2013)

Brilliant Rolf, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by rolf View Post
    Yep, a great little lake, two hides available and if you join the Friends of Lavell's group, there's a brand new third hide on the adjacent Lea Farm Gravel pit.
    http://www.thamesvalleybirds.co.uk/p...e-reserve.html
    Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Also worth doing Gav, is to follow them on twitter, then enable text alerts for rarities, from memory you need to pay another couple of quid a year, but well worth it, have seen some interesting birds because of it and also berksbirdnews on twitter, alerts are as shown below.

You will of course need a twitter account which is easy to set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	berksbirdnews.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	18979  
    Rolf

I'm actually already on twitter - I use it to complain to Orange, or Ebay! lol
    So I'll add those 2 to my 'following' list.

Thanks!

Real Name
    joe
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D300,nikon 70-200 +1.7 converter. Nikon 105 mm Macro with VR Sigma 300 with X2 converter Nikon P5000 with fieldscope and Binos Nikon D7000 Nikon 17-55 mm F2.8

Gav, just a warning the carpark by Lavell's is a pay and display, tickets from the machine at the multi activity centre.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Gav, just a warning the carpark by Lavell's is a pay and display, tickets from the machine at the multi activity centre.
    Joe
    Well, That couldn't have been more apt...
    I have only just 10 minutes ago got back from a quick trip up there to make sure it was where I thought, see where the owl box was etc... and I couldn't see the blasted machine so wrote a note and put it in my windows saying I don't know where the machine is! so thanks for that!!

On a different note, it is damned waterlogged over there at the moment, I didn't even get to the teal hide as it just got too muddy (and I was in Trainers).
    Still the objective was to check the place out, so I know for next time!

Thread Information