Thread: 5-Star Coot nest

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

Default 5-Star Coot nest

This couple have set up home near the Reading Town centre lock of the Kennet & Avon Canal. I noticed it the other day all made with leaves, but this time it was occupied. They have chosen a lovely place with a lot of interesting and colourful rubbish around them
    One was sat in the nest and the other was preening her until they were at last both sat down. the problem with the location is that about 6 feet away there is this big dead fish caught in the branches. It's going to be fragrant there soon!!!! I'll have to remember to keep visiting, and I might just catch something good as it's quite open (photograph-wise). Or I might just catch something horrible as I'll have to get very close to the fish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4309 - SHRUNK.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	419.5 KB 
ID:	5310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4319 - SHRUNK.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	5311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4306 - SHRUNK.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	464.7 KB 
ID:	5316  
    Last edited by ladylouise62; 11-06-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added photo

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

awww poor fish, I can't stand the smell of fish do you know like when it's nearing the end of the day and you can smell the fish as you walk past the fish counter yuk yuk yuk , that is one counter I always avoid. Obviously these coots don't mind it and it will be nice to follow their progress

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Great photos Louise. Be interesting to see the follow ups

As for fish neither. I feel sick if I pass a fish market Yurk

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I'm not a big fish lover, but the other half is. Unfortunately, because I love him that means that I make a few more fish dishes than I would like... and I HATE preparing fish It's going to smell horrible by that nest!

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

That looks like a Pike.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Oh well. They tend to come up and just grab ducklings and suchlike so I expect the Coot did it in. It wouldn't surprise me

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Hey - I could fish it out and feed it to my other half... that would teach him to make fun of me :-)

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

You could but don't tell 'em Pike

Cameras and Equipment

Canon 300D Panasonic FZ50 CS2 Lightroom

I agree about the smell when passing a fish counter. However, being born in Fleetwood, which at one time was the third largest fishing ports in the UK ( Its now a container port and a passenger vessel port for the Isle of man and Ireland cos of this fish quota stuff), the sight of the Trawlers returning from Iceland and the smell of freshly landed fish was fantastic.

By the way, a small piece of info that might be of use is, if buying frozen, in packets from the shop(any shop) only buy fish that is named i.e. Cod, Haddock etc. never ever stuff that is marked as WHITE FISH this is made up of all the different types of white fish they cannot sell otherwise. This goes for fish fingers, fish cakes etc.Even on these products,if it doesnt name the type of fish....steer clear. All WHITE FISH is in one way or another....a right old mixture...Here endeth the lesson. Sorry from going on so. Anyone now thinking......Whoops?............... Tis all true, in my younger days I used to work the fish docks
    Last edited by digidark; 13-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    IF TIN WHISTLES ARE MADE OF TIN

WHAT DO THEY MAKE FOGHORNS OUT OF?

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh Yes fish fingers are mixed fishes if it says other wise it's Cods wallop
    Last edited by Chocky; 13-06-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Cameras and Equipment

Canon 300D Panasonic FZ50 CS2 Lightroom

Some.... Ross, Birdseye etc do name the fish....Freds Fantastic Fish Fingers and the like, do not
    Last edited by digidark; 13-06-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    IF TIN WHISTLES ARE MADE OF TIN

WHAT DO THEY MAKE FOGHORNS OUT OF?

Thread Information