Thread: Advantages of FireFox

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Default Advantages of FireFox

What are the advantages of FF over IE ?
    I find FF some what complicated probably because I'm not used to it.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

What is it you find complicated Chocky?

I like the speed and this was the main factor which persuaded me a couple of years back.

I love the tabbed browsing and even though the latest IE version now has this, there are too many other problems with the browser generally.

IE is part of Microsoft and hence suffers the same controls, I don't like the constant reporting back, something you have to have enabled if you want to receive essential security updates.

Firefox is I believe more secure.

The Firefox search plugins are an excellent feature, I have several, including an Ebay one, Chambers dictionary and Wikipedia.

There are I'm sure other advantages, but I can't think of them right now, at the end of the day, use what you feel happy with.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Ok. Thank you.
    I was just wondering. I found the tab system a little complicated but I think I'm getting the hang of that. I don't care for the quick time sound it uses. but then I guess that may also be to do with ones sound card too. I have inserted a Sound Blaster card. I couldn't come to terms with soundMax I prefer Realtek
    I do like the spell checker That for me is a real boon. I think really it's the new layout and any thing where there are changes in the layout, confuse me . I have heard it to be more secure. Think I'll stick with it. the blue tab system took me a while to find
    I haven't found the search plug ins. I do like the speed but the blue tabs take a while to load.
    I wouldn't contemplate using IE 7.
    Yep probably just needs getting used to.
    Thanks.

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

I also use FF -initially it was due to the security issues with IE, but I like the tabbing when opening loads of pages, and the add-ons are quite nice. As Rolf said, tabbing was just here but Microsoft nabbed it as it was popular. I would stay with it just for the security side.
    But yes, it does take some getting used to.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes Thanks.
    I will take time to get used to it. Think I'll have to go into SoundBlaster and change some of the instruments though, they're not too melodious on my own web site

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

Now I prefer IE, I was very happy with it, until my son put firefox on for me. I now tend to use both. Since I have had firefox I can't use smilies on forums on IE. I can't upload pics on a certain sites in firefox and have to revert to IE. I don't like how firefox loses connection quite a lot.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Agreed. I just can't handle F F. I dismanteled it this evening. IAfter uploading a diferent tune on my site . Lol , It played one tune on F F and the other on IE
    It took ages to load up the blue tabs each tim I conected and will only play quick time which my web site doesn't like (nor does it's owner)
    So am back on IE6

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Strange, I loaded Firefox and it worked on pretty much everything the first time, with an old version I had a problem with one of my bank sites, but it has been OK with the last couple of versions.

At the end of the day, use what you feel comfortable with.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I think it has to do with the micro processor.
    Like the chip in my P B won't accept quick time and Most P B users have the same probs. so it could well be that.
    This pc has no problem with quick time . I think F F worked perfectly on the P B I used the earlier version. but it certainly doesn't like this PC

Real Name
    Barbara
    Cameras and Equipment

The equipment I use is a Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500mm lens. I also have a garden hide from which I take most of my pictures.

My son is a computer programmer and and maintains the web site at work also and he swears by firefox.

I also think IE6 was better than IE7 for me anyway

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I was talking to a friend just now and her PC died when she used F F on it and had to be sent away for repares. I know about 3 years ago service pack 2 was killing some packard Bells And the P B I had then just wouldn't work with service pack 2. Has to be to do with the chip. Mark is an IT consultant. Will only use IE

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

My other half is a programmer... he got me onto FF. The only issue I have is that the odd website won't support it, but they are becoming few and far between since there are many millions of users around the world and growing.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Aer you using a mac or a PC. FireFox has a lot to do with Core compatabibility. Ithink it will work well on a mac. quisck time was desigened for mac too.

I may have to roll back now or reformat. I keep geting questions and try agains that I never got before using fire fox. oh dear. Well that will give me some thing to dao whilst it's raining
    Last edited by Chocky; 28-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

I am on a PC.

Quicktime always seemed to work before the other day. Oh well, these things are sent to try us... and use our time.. and our patience

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

My PC isn't fast enough for FireFox. That is why it will work ok on the pacrd Bell. This PC is only 1'8 gighrtz and Firefox needs at leest 2.33gighrtz. My PB is 2.53 gighrtz . There is my prob. And intel doesn't like quick time. My prob on my PBWhere AMd does. so it all boils down to Compatiblity of the Chip (CPU)

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

No it doesn't need any more speed than IE Chocky, I have it running on my Intel Coppermine PIII 600Mhz machine right at this moment and my 800Mhz Intel Celeron laptop runs it well.

My main PC is a 2.8Ghz Intel Celeron and happily runs firefox and Quicktime Alternative. I'm not a lover of Packard Bell though, I've had a few friends who bought them and experienced loads of problems.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Oh . I was reading about fire fox's systems requirments and it said 2.33 ghz
    I only have a Packard Bell because it was afordable at the time and is easy to go back to fasctory settings user friendly and the cover plan has more than paid for itself.
    My spare infact was more exspensive and would have cost a customer around £400. I got it for £300. Because I worked there and still help out, desined all their business cards and such .
    My PB wont have any thing to do with Q.time. I was reading about compaibility too. This PC took ages to load the blue tabs and with fire fox I found my web pages had diferent tunes on each browser for some reason when I changed the tune IE picked it up but fire fox didn't. Oh yes and I kept getting a vbann warning on some sites too. Most strange. Any way for now I'll have to stay with IE 6
    Last edited by Chocky; 29-06-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added info and spelling

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

It's 233Mhz Chocky, just checked.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yep. I got it all wrong .well back to front really . just be jentle when you thump me

I wonder if it would be a good idea to get rid of all the cookies before loading FF? theyu could be clashing
    Last edited by Chocky; 29-06-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: to add info

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Firefox will not use the IE cookies, unless you import them, but they are easy to dump.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I have dumped them I had to to get IE to work properly. That is to say it did work properly after I had dumped them . Now all my web site icons have turned in to Notepad like icons.
    I have to keep a certain amount of cokkies so I don't scor when I go to my web site.
    I'm going to have to work on this. I don't like things getting the better of me..
    If they do I need to know why.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I have scrubbed round F F now. Having taken a box full of headache pills
    Rolled back to where I was and all is working as per normal

Thread Information