Thread: Just bought a Remembird recorder

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

Default Just bought a Remembird recorder

Have not really thought too much about birdsong until recently, apart from enjoying it.

I recently bought a Remembird to aid in identification of a couple of birds I'd seen at Pingewood and I'm very pleased with it.

It records in MP3 format and has dedicated software with which to upload the recordings to your PC and edit/label your recordings.

It is not highly directional, but isn't intended to be, there is now a model to which can be connected a directional Microphone for more professional recording purposes. The standard model has a high gain microphone on the front and a small low gain microphone on the side, this can be used to make audio notes alongside the recordings.

It uses a variable time recording loop (user set), so that you can store calls retrospectively by pressing the record button, very useful as birds don't seem to sing to order.

Once I've got some time, I'll start recording and uploading some calls, have only done a couple so far. Here's a link to some calls I've recorded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remembird1.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	93  
    Rolf

Slightly Mad Moderator ladylouise62's Avatar
    Real Name
    Louise
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus Evolt E520, and borrowed lenses and flash. Fuji Finepix S7000 for Macro A chair :)

What sort of a memory has it got? - I have visions of it closing down after a short while just as the birds get singing! ;-)

It sounds like a useful thing - however hard I try to remember exactly how a call goes to identify it when I get back home, I have forgotten before I've gone a hundred yards. I tried the other day and just stood and listened for a few minutes and tried to fix it into my head... and it was gone before I got home. Must be old age!
    Last edited by ladylouise62; 10-04-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Olympus E-30, Sigma 50-500mm Lens, Sigma 150mm Macro lens, Zuiko 70-300mm lens, Sigma 50mm F1,4 lens, Extension tube, 1.4x tele-converter, Carbon FibreTripod, Monopod, Vanguard Binoculars, Celestron 80F-ED Scope, Remembird recorder.

It has only a small amount of onboard memory, enought for 20 minutes or so of song, but takes MMC cards, have ordered a couple of half Gig units for it.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

Just realised I have one of these digital video cameras (cheepy Goodmans one) but it also records and plays back. It's mpeg 4 video I wiil have try it out and see how it performs.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

They can be very useful for recording bird behaviour as well as song, I took some pictures of a pair of Dunnocks in courtship last year, but only a movie can truly show the strange tale fanning ritual.

Here's a Great Tit warning the next door's cat to keep away.

Attached Files
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Nikon D7200 Camera. Nikon 55-300mm VR F4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX NIKKOR SWM WAF-5 DX Micro Nikkor 40mmf/2.8G SWM DX swm ED af aspherical 18-55 With wide angle converter Nikon Coolpix S5100 Sony HandycamDCR-SR58 Hama tripod Canon Pixma iP7250 PixmaMG5500

How did you upload that file of the Great Tit ?
    They have several different calls don't they?

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes they do Chocky, have another MP3 of one singing in another thread, will try and get a complete set.

If you have an mp3 file, just upload it as an attachment, or to your webspace, then use the code [ mp3]file address here[ /mp3] without the spaces.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I have 101 bird songs. They are on two CDs called 'Brittish bird songs'. They were free with The Independent news paper. Rather a lot. but if there is any one you particularly want I can. (I'll try)

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

No don't worry too much Chocky, as I want to try and keep the clips we have here as user recorded.

I have the British Birds 8.0 DVD on my PC and so have access to a song and call from most British species.

Also on the home page of garden-birds.co.uk, they have a bird list on the left hand side and audio clips with most of them, this facility is more so that members can accompany a picture of a bird they have taken with a call or song.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

That's what I thought. Any one can get hold of pre-recorded sounds but it's not the same achievment.

I can actually seperate any sound from a video I make on the digital camera. With a program I have. I made a film of the Willow warbler today, well I know where the bird is but I did get the sound not much of it. I'll try a better one tomorrow and get more of the sound

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Try downloading Audacity Chocky, it will trim, filter and amplify the sounds.

http://sourceforge.net/project/downl...e_mirror=voxel

Then you can export them as wav or mp3 files.
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

I'll do that.
    I normaly use Arcsoft I have the whole lot oa arcsoft stuff.

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Ok I have down loaded it and will check it out after supper.
    Thanks for that Rolf.

Real Name
    Rolf
    Cameras and Equipment

Here's my updated sound recording outfit, now with the Remembird-x, Audio-Technica shotgun microphone, Rycote pistol grip and Rode "dead cat" wind shield.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remembird.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	6602  
    Rolf

Real Name
    Beryl
    Cameras and Equipment

Yes nice . I really need one for m cam-corder . One of them has a mic socket

Thread Information